Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100 yr flood in HEC_RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujanshakya

Civil/Environmental
Jun 4, 2009
US
I am running HEC_RAS for the proposed culvert.The 100 yr flow seems to jump up at the culvert. Is this because of the ineffective flow area that I set.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes,overtops the culvert. and also,do I have to consider T6 rail in my model. I think, it has only a minimal effect on 100 year discharge.

Sounds like a hydraulic jump, which isn't uncommon. If the model is set correctly, this probably means that there isn't enough capacity to convey the 100-year storm event.

As for including the rail, I don't know, but if the goal is to prevent overtopping, use the lowest elevation part to which point some flooding is tolerable.

The Hec_Ras output showed a critical WSE upstream of bridge for 2 and 5 yr frequency, Froude#1.01, what could be the reason? The stream bed seems little steep U/S to bridge.

i am running Hec-Ras model and i have to skew a bride about 15 degree but as i skew the bride water goes up is there negetive skew in hec ras program anybody help please

Prabhash, I don't think there is -ve skew. Why don't you tweak little bit the 'n' valves U/S and D/S of bridge to lower the WSE.as, you can have concrete riprap at the bridge... And also, check your U/S and D/S cross section distance.

The Hec_Ras output showed a critical WSE D/S of existing bridge for 100 yr frequency, Froude#1.0, what could be the reason? The WSE profile showed sharp fall down from D/S bridge face. Is it a glitch on Hec_Ras program .

sujancha,

I always set the ineffective flow areas first and then skew the bridge and the cross sections afterward. This takes the ineffective flow areas into account when skewing the cross sections. Just remember that you have to tell it to skew the cross sections as well as the bridge.

In the Hec-Ras i interpolation cross section on every 100' but when i generate my report it shows me more than 2000 pages, how can i get rid of those interpolated sections (in report generation)??Thanks.

When I skew the bridge/culvert and cross section, the ineffective area I set (before skewing), falls on the channel. It appeared that I set the ineffective area inside the channel containing flow. Do I have to adjust the ineffective area again after skewing or leave it as it is. I think, I should not skew again just to make the schematic look normal? Am I correct. Because, adjusting ineffective area again, leads to jumping of WSE above the bridge U/S on the schematic.
Any idea, please.

sujancha,

Why was your ineffective area in the channel? If the channel is actively flowing, then it cannot be ineffective. Sounds like you need to un-skew your culvert and bounding cross sections, set new ineffective area boundaries, and skew the culvert and cross sections again. And don't worry about what the WSE does until after you get the geometry modeled correctly. The culvert may be causing an increase in WSE, which would indicate it may be too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back