1000V rated cable for 600/347V system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kani77

Electrical
Feb 25, 2014
CA
Hi,
Why we need to consider 1000V rated power cable for 600/347V Y system, solidly or resistance grounded. Your feed back is much appreciated.
Tanks,
Kani

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No difference.
On a job, an engineer instructed a crew to remove a 1000 Volt rated cable and replace it with a 600 Volt rated cable.
I old the crew to save the cable because they would be re-installing it.
Sure enough, the word came down the next day.
"There is no difference between 600 Volt cable and 1000 Volt cable. Pull in 1000 Volt rated cable."
The same cable went back in.
I understand that 600 Volt rated cable is being superseded by 1000 Volt rated cable at the manufacturing level.
What gets installed depends more on what the supplier ships than on the job specs.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

On a HRG system during a single phase to ground fault, transient over voltages are created. But not as
bad as on a 5kV or 15kV system. Comparatively the transient voltages created on a 600V system
would be little higher than on a 480V HRG system. Therefore, to protect the cable from those possible
transient over voltages, it is better if we can use a 1000V insulated cable on 600V HRG system and a 600V
insulated cables on a 480V HRG system.

In some cases it is because they want you to use XHHW cable, which is usually 1000V rated or more, because it is a superior insulation than THHN. The voltage rating is just the way it comes. This is especially true if the wires are on the output of a VFD.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back