Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

11 x 17 issues with pdf and tif files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainguy

Structural
Apr 26, 2002
CA
Here's one that I just can't solve.

Again, probably the wrong forum, but your responses are extremely appreciated;

Whenever I try to print .tif or .pdf files in 11 x 17 size, only a narrow strip of printed page appears(on the left, approx. 3 in x 11 in.), and the rest is a blank page. This seems to happen not only when printing directly from Windows Kodak Imaging or Adobe Acrobat, it also happens when I use PrintScreen and paste into Word!

Otherwise, we print 11 x 17 perfectly from Acad, and others.

I've tried verbal abuse & striking the printer as hard as I could, and that still didn't do the trick...[bigcheeks]

Thanks in advance,
GA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried to use the "print as image" option on the print page in Acrobat?

Sometimes that will allow some recalcitrant files to print.

You might also not have enough memory in the printer. TTFN

well you've already used your most effective options... but as a last resort you may want to see if you have to adjust the paper size in the printer properties settings. sometimes printers also have the shrink to fit option that you have to turn off. if this doesnt work i recommend another round of abuse. especially if this occurs on a monday morning or friday afternoon.

What kind of printer are you using? How much memory does it have? How current are the drivers? Which version of Acrobat Reader are you using?

An older thread, but I feel I have something to add.

In general, printing 11x17 documents on 8.5x11 inch paper can be accomplished by:

File > Print > PrintPreview > PAGE SETUP!

There is a box in "PAGE SETUP" that allows you to reduce the image you wish to print.

Although this is an older thread as mentioned by MouseTrap, I have found that printing portrait (when it looks like it should be landscape) and vice versa sometimes gives the correct printout....

With HP Printers, I have found that the PCL drivers exhibit the problem you have when printing TIF files and sometimes PDF files.

Download, install and use the latest PS (PostScript)drivers and the problem is resolved.

I still use the PCL drivers for AutoCAD plotting.

Our HP printer does this, too.
Short Answer: Reduce your Print Quality through printer properties in Adobe print dialog box.

Long Answer (for HP 8000 printer):
Our printer defaults to the highest quality. At the highest quality setting large pdf files only partially print.
In Acrobat Reader:
1) click on the Print button
2) in the Print Dialog box click on Properties
3) On the Finishing tab, reduce the Printer Quality from Best Quality to 600 dpi.
4) optional (Quick Sets, also on the Finishing tab, make it easy to recall customized settings like print quality, paper size and orientation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back