Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

110V 50 Hz motor on 120V 60 Hz home circuit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneM

Civil/Environmental
Feb 26, 2008
US
I have a piece of equipment manufactured in China; the manual describes the drive motor as 110V, 50Hz 200W. Would it be ok to run this on standard US residential wiring (120V 60Hz)?

I figure the motor would be pulling 1.6A instead of 1.8, so I'm not worried about harming the home wiring. Would the motor simply operate faster?

I'm civil by training (and by nature, after coffee), so any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, a mains motor will try to run 20% faster on 60Hz than on 50Hz. That might result in it drawing more power, and hence more current. Without knowing what the load is it's not possible to do much except guess. Some loads - typically centrifugal pumps and most fans - increase the power requirement with the cube of speed (torque rises quadratically), so the current can rise quite dramatically.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Gotta love the Chinese knock off mfrs. I don't know of anywhere in the world where they use 110V AC 50Hz. Some underpaid "engineer" at the knock-off factory didn't do his homework...

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

jraef: 110V 50Hz is used quite a lot in the UK for industrial (hand tools) and commercial portable equipment. Might be the same on mainland Europe too?

Not domestically for sure.

Many years ago I worked for a company that used 400Hz, (not sure of the V), for hand tools - stopped them being stolen for home use. I think it was called "Hicycle"

Thank you all for the input. The motor is to essentially power a vibrating plate, so running faster won't necessarily require more power. Worst case, it'd trip the home circuit breaker, if not one on the equipment itself, right?

I think the unit has a speed control on the motor, so I can possibly compensate there.

Thanks for the quick replies - and I like that Lincoln quote, jraef.

400 Hz is used to cut down on iron size. The amount of iron required in the magnetic circuit at 400 Hz is 60/400 of the amount required at 60 Hz. Motors, generators and transformers may be much smaller at 400 Hz. Current and the resulting cable size remains about the same.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back