12.5 % + or - WALL TOLERANCE ON CARBON STEEL PIPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

APIpipeWholesaler

Materials
Jul 26, 2012
US
Greetings everyone,

The general consensus is that pipe carries a + or - 12.5% wall thickness tolerance and has been around for 50 years.

I am currently dealing with SAWL 36 x .750 wall API 5L x52 pipe. I am being asked to prove that the + or - 12.5% wall thickness tolerance is in play for this SAWL size pipe.

Keeping in mind that LSAW cannot carry an ASME nor an ASTM monogram, where can I find in API 5L 46th Ed. the wall thickness TOL.?

The general wall Tolerance for welded pipe >.591 wall is +-1.5 (.060) Annex J and annex N clearly state that welded pipe over 14" .984 wall are +-12.5%

As always thank you in advance,

-=Fred=-

Vass Pipe API Line Pipe Industry Leader

People do what you inspect, not expect!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thankyou for your response.

I don’t want to come across as uneducated but in the case where API stated:

The general wall Tolerance for welded pipe >.591 wall is +-1.5 (.060)

What would the + or - tolerance equate to on .750 wall??? What is the formula. As far as I know it doesn’t carry the “t” designation. I believe all it says is milimeter.

Thanks again

Fred

API_46th_wall_tolerance_uomuat.jpg
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Vass Pipe API Line Pipe Industry Leader

People do what you inspect, not expect!

Correct.

Above 15mm, the tolerance goes to a fixed thickness + or - , not a formula.

So your tolerance is 1.5mm

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back