Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

12" flow meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleyjo

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2005
US
does anyone have any idea what a good flow meter for a 12" water pipe I need to spec one for a Muni job and I would just like some ideas on brands

flow range 200-5000 GPM
max flow 8000 GPM
pressure drop 4 PSI
+/- .1 "
stainless

thanks alot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about considering accuracy, installation and maintenance requirements and service conditions (beyond those noted), and then deciding upon a technology, before considering brands?

FYI- I've seen a number of installations where they had, say, 12" pipe, reduced it to 8" to run through a meter (or control valve), then back up to 12"- for the purpose of saving money.

That 4 PSI loss sounds like a lot to me. Is that based on an orifice plate, maybe?

It is common, and good practice to reduce down to a meter size smaller than the pipe being served. It's not done to save money, it is done to get the velocities through the meter up to get the best accuracy from the meter.
Talk to a few vendors. The choices are many.

The typical orifice plate application starts with 100-inch water drop for flange-taps. This is not all permanent loss - the percentage of which depends upon the beta ratio. The Annubar, V-Cone, Flow-Pak and such elements should drop less than the orifice plate and likely have a lower permanent loss than the measurement loss. I prefer line sized flow elements where practical.

BTW, a magnetic flow meter likely works in the application. Magnetic meters and transit-time flow meters are low-loss. A vortex shedding meter should work well in the application too.

Rosemount sells most of these technologies.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back