Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

12v 40 amp power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmh265

Mechanical
May 6, 2004
AU
Hello everybody, I am looking for a power supply to drive a petrol drum pump that claims a rating of 35 amps. Currently we are using a lead acid truck battery for the job which charging all the time is a painful experience.

I have only managed to find lab power supplies, I would rather a steel cased supply with no adjustment or switches/displays to break.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used a 24 V 40 A SITOP supply for a similar thing the other week. There are 12 V versions. It has connections for AC in and DC out. No switches, no dials. Just a LED that says OK if everything is OK. Made by Siemens.

Gunnar Englund

My buddy just picked up a 12V 50A fixed supply at Fry's Electronics for about $50.

Often they are called "battery eliminators" since they take abuse and run 12V or 24V.

Hi gmh265
Try this company XP Plc. sales:mad:xpplc.com Tel+44(0)1189845515 They manufacture and supply switch mode power supplies,they will even supply to your request.
But why dont you just make your own supply with a transtormer say 1kva 25vac sec will give you 40amps.a bridge rectifier two 1000uf caps and fuse.

Barry.

Before you all have ago at me, yes I have worked out the trany for 24v and not 12v the truck bat threw me.
the correct trany is 600va and 11vac sec. rectified will give you 21.54cdc.

Barry.

I think that you should think again laundry.

18 V is the standard secondary voltage if you want 24 V DC and use capacitors for smoothing.

Best thing to do is use a three-phase transformer and a six-pulse rectifier with some smoothing. Then again, 18 V RMS is the correct secondary voltage for 24 V DC.

Gunnar Englund

'itsmoked' has good advice. Look for "battery eliminators" at the automotive store ($50+) instead of "power supplies" ($300+). The 50-amp version might have dolly wheels and a handle. A pump shouldn't be too fussy about the quality of the power.

There are probably some saftey issues to worry about, but they'd be about the same with a battery or power supply.

btw... Fry's is kind of a bigger (supermarket sized), but not necessarily better Radio Shack.

The original Fry's family business was and is grocery supermarkets in the San Jose, CA area. One brother decided to do something similar, but different, hence Fry's Electronics.

TTFN

In the UK there are numerous PSUs on the 'surplus' market - mainly stock bought from liquidators as our remaining manufacturing industry is put to the sword. If your locale has similar organisations, check them out. There are some real bargains to be had out there (and some utter crap too - caveat emptor!!)

Skogs' comment about the SITOP supplies is well-founded. I use them a lot in applications where I want zero fuss and high reliability. Up to now they have proved very good.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Yes actually Fry's Supermarket(food) started selling computer stuff on one display, thing's like floppy disks. And because they were convienent and open late they actually got a ton of people in buying the stuff. So they then opened a really large themed store with floor tiled like circuit board traces, etc., 20,000sqft electronics mart. They made it big, 31 of them now in 8 states. They are mostly over 100,000sqft. Ever been to an electronics store with FOURTY CHECK OUT LINES?!?! THey all have massive different themes. Kinda cool!

Hang on, I'll get the name of that battery elliminator for you.

"...pump that claims a rating of 35 amps..."

Hmmm, 'start-up current' might be something worth worrying about. In this sense, a big dumb Battery Eliminator might be a better choice than an overly-smart hi-tech power supply that keeps folding back.

This is what "he" got.

The website is:

They have 19" rack mount types. Bulkhead mounts.

They are better for this service because of what VE1BLL mentions. They are also usually rated at 13.6V because that is what battery's really are. Also they have ratings like this one; 40A continuous, 45A for one minute.

If you want to run down to the "local store" look at your local chandlery (boating goods) store as boats use these things everywhere.

40??? only on a slow day...

When the Anaheim Fry's opened, they had about 80 cashiers on duty and the line wrapped its way around the entire store. Bear in mind that the store is at least 200 ft on a side.

TTFN

Hahaha. Yeah, I've been in all of the stores in Silicon Valley. The biggest one has I think, 40... You can still see the Earth's curvature when looking down long aisles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back