Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

12V Geared Motor Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlombardi

Industrial
Feb 6, 2003
MT
Can anyone help me source a geared motor with the following specs pls:

Breakaway Nominal torque: 32Nm
Continuous Nominal Torque: 3.5Nm
Nominal Power: 23W
Nominal Current: 4A
Max Current: 27A
Nominal Speed: 64rpm

Best Regards,

Tonio Lombardi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are all too many companies out there on the net, that have such motors. The next questions you need to ask, are what type of gearmotor? Do you wish a worm, spur, planetary etc? I can point you to specific companies, if you can specify the mechanical characteristics, to accompany your electrical specs.

Hey all of you, thanks for your answers. Ahem... Yes, A worm will do the trick. if you can point me to a couple of manufacturers id be very grateful.

Regards,

T

Hello tlombardi,

Well, this is a difficult scenario! I myself, in the development of prototypes, have run into the very same situation that you are in now. I did the same thing that jbartos has suggested, and that is to go through the many, many, many...companies that sell such motors, through the Thomas Register.
You stated that a worm drive will "do", but is a worm drive really what you "need"?
An example: Worm drives tend to be larger, and draw much more current than spur gear type drives. I needed a motor assembly that has 5rpm @ 120 in/lbs. In spur gear assemblies, I could get this easily for around 50 dollars, in a very small package (3" X 2" X .5" gearbox). Current draw was about 1.2amps.
In searching for a worm gear alternative, to get the same results, the motors were HUGE, drew an enormous amount of current, (9 amps +) and were not nearly as easy to find. They were also several hundred dollars.
So, out of concern for you, I ask you, do you really need a worm gear drive for your application? You could, in a smaller package, even with an added magnetic brake, and for less money, use a spur gear motor drive. It will cost you less, it will draw less current, and you can add features to it, all for less than just a worm gear drive.
I don't mean to pry into your business, but are you developing a production run product, a prototype, or a hobby project? In any case, don't spend the money on a worm drive if it is not needed!
Look online for this company:

Browse through their motors, as I have been successful finding what I need, for a relatively cheap price, comparatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back