Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

13 mm thread? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear9298

Aerospace
Dec 10, 2003
US
Question.. Has anyone ran across a 13mm Thread.. looking for the data if so. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess would be it's a 'special' in the way you get UNS threads of non standard diameters etc.

A cursory glance at ASME B1.13M-2201 the US Metric Screw Thread spec seems to back this up as it isn't in the standard look up tables.

Closer examination section 7.6 applies "Designation of Special Threads" with wording reminiscent of the section on UNS threads in B1.1.

ASME B1.13M-2201 Section 7.6 Designation of Special threads said:
Special diameter-pitch threads, developed in accordance with this Standard, shall be identified by the letters SPL following the tolerance class. Below the designation shall be specified the limits of size for major diameter, pitch diameter, and minor diameter.

To calculate the tolerances etc. see section 9 of above standard.

My guess is taps & dies may be moderately available for some 13 mm threads to support replacing 1/2" threaded items but I could be wrong.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

There is an M13 X1.5 thread standard for threaded repair inserts (Threadserts), and an M13 standard for bubble flare nuts for Hydraulic tubing.
What is your end use.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

My copy of ASME B1.21M-1997 (MJ thread forms) does not list 13mm threads in the standard series tables as either 1st or 2nd choice. But section 6.6 provides guidance, similar to that noted by KENAT above, for designation of special series "MJS" threads having a non-standard diameter such as 13mm.

just bear in mind, special go & no go gages will have to be fabricates, as well as special type of cutting tools. you did not explain if these are internal or external or both.
external can be single point or thread ground, internal will have to be tapped. and depending on the the tolerance. a better explanation can be achieved if more information is given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back