Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

13Cr WELDABLE MARTENSITIC STEEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitessy

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2013
NG
Goodday Everyone,

Please, any one that have been involved in the welding of a gas line of pipe material: 13Cr weldable martensitic steel. I will sincerely appreciate your advice and if possible any draft pWPS that could be of help and guide. I have had suggestive inputs from senior colleagues but I need advice from someone who has practically been involve in the welding of 13Cr weldable martensitic steel gasline.

Thanks sincerely
chitessy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe you are referring to 13-4 stainless, which indeed is weldable, but there are serious pitfalls if it is not handled appropriately.
I suggest you call in an expert welding engineer possessing actual experience with this alloy.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

What kind of advice are you looking for?
Some basic stuff and depending on code: You will have to maintain an interpass weld temperature around 400-500F and then you'll have to PWHT at around 1380F . Matching filler will work but having something with a little more Ni in it would help stabilize the Austenite before it transforms to martensite on cooling, giving you less ferrite. The high Cr to low Ni will make ferrite come out quite a bit and generally you don't want to exceed 20%, otherwise your toughness will drop.

Also, typically, I think people do a GTAW root pass and then fill it up with SMAW.

Hope that helps at lease a little,

Hatstrow said:
You will have to maintain an interpass weld temperature around 400-500F
At the very maximum

Hatstrow said:
and then you'll have to PWHT at around 1380F.
absolutely Not

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Ironic,

Could you explain why not PWHT?
Are you assuming his is talking about 13-4? which I would understand is a ferritic steel.
I guess I was was thinking more along the lines as 410, which I know they use in the oil/gas industry.

I did not state 'not PWHT'.
13-4 aka CA-6NM aka 415 is unlike all other martensitic stainless grades.
For more info you will need to google.

Good-day All,

Thanks to all for all your inputs. The material in question is SEAMLESS STAINLESS STEEL LINE PIPE 13%CR-2.5%MO. We will have to put up a pWPS, and carry out the procedure qualification process to see what happens.

Thanks to all
Chitessy

These martensitic stainless pipeline grades were derivatives of CA6N as per ironic metallurgist. Welds can be made without PWHT if the carbon content is very low. Bohler Thyssen has low carbon filler metal that we used to qualify a procedure without PWHT but we did not use it for production welding. Didn't get the project.

13%CR-2.5%MO is a curve ball, but then I have had little contact with upstream oil & gas. It will be unlike the 13Cr-4Ni that I had assumed.
I would expect the response to heat treatment and the welding issues to more like those for 410SS.
I would contact the pipe manufacturer and perhaps a weld consumable supplier for specific fabrication advice.

These are actually ferritic alloys.
When you get the carbon low enough for weldability they hardly form any martensite.
Does your procedure require passing impact toughness? at low temp? That is often the hard part.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

ironic metallurgist (Materials)
Just like you suggested, we were able to get advice for the welding consumables.

EdStainless (Materials)
For this procedure, impact toughness test is not required.

Thanks All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back