Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

13D Irregular shaped skylights

Status
Not open for further replies.

OremusFire

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2016
US
I have a project with some irregular shaped skylights requiring sprinkler protection. The actual skylight allowing the sun in is actually a small 2'x2' square about 2 ft. deep but then there is additional pocket space to diffuse the light which tapers out at an angle ultimately meeting a flat ceiling - like a rectangular funnel. If I were to put a sprinkler in the uppermost skylight area the spray would be immediately obstructed into the 2ft square area and the rest of the pocket area would not get any water. The areas below the skylights are fully covered. Is it necessary to make sure the entire pocket area is covered? It would require at least two sprinklers per skylight and there are many of these throughout. My intuition says I'd be fine with just one at the highest elevation since we have full floor coverage.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So how big is this entire thing ???

And you are doing 13D??? What year edition?

What section of 13D are you looking at that requires sprinklers

Size is about 28 sq. ft., roughly 78 Cu ft. Each. Sprinklers are required because there are many of these in the compartment.
Yes, 13D per the subject line.
2016 edition, doesn't really matter since 13D pocket requirements have been unchanged since at least 2007 to 2019.

My gut feeling is to get the floor area protected and then to also have a sprinkler in that high pocket. I think that will meet the requirements of 13D. Yes, the pocket sprinkler is going to be of very little benefit, but per the standard you still need it.

Travis Mack, SET, RME-G,
Ferguson Fire & Fab, dba MFP Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back