Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

15-20 mins to calculate pattern feature?! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunor

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2005
HU
It takes 15-20 mins to add 1000 elements (small cubes to a surface) using pattern feature. Is this normal? I'm just curious about wether it is OK or not considering the config I have or something may be wrong with it. Do anyone have information or assumption regarding how much does this operation takes on a similar computer?

The config is the following:

SW ver: SW 2005 sp.5.
ram: 1G
cpu: 3200+ amd64
video card: 6600GT Nvidia Geforce

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, for a pattern of that size, what you are experiencing is quite normal.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

This sort of thing brings all 3d cad programs to it's knees, what are you modeling?

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0 on WinXP SP2

Back in 1997 I designed an electric razor that had a microscreen with zillions of holes. I can't believe it modeled successfully, especially considering I made it as a sheetmetal part, added the holes, then processed the bends (true geometry). Processing the bends took longer than adding all the holes--about three hours on the dual-Pentium 300MHz system (only used one processor for hacking through it). I couldn't believe it didn't crash.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

It is a surface covered with small metal plates to mix the flowing media.

Right now the managers need the printout of the isometric view of the model, but the number, angle, size etc of the plates may change anytime, so the model changes quite often.

When they saw, it takes that much time to draw in SW, they told me to solve the problem (better hardware), or look for a different software that can handle the problem.

An "expert" came and told, autocad will solve our problems. Do you think that's true?

I used autocad for 2d drawing and have no experience in 3d handling capabilities, but experienced already in 2d drawing that modifying drawings can be very complicated. Under SW changing system part sizes is fast and easy.

An "expert" came and told, autocad will solve our problems. Do you think that's true?

HA HA HA! Yeah, Autocad will solve the problem all right. Sure! Does this "expert" work for Autodesk perchance?

Really, going from 3D design to 2D is an enormous step backward. 3D takes more resources from your computer, but gives back enormously in reduced time to properly edit a part.

The graphics card is very important in running SolidWorks--check out what CorBlimeyLimey said in the post above if you would like to reduce the problems you're having.

Jeff Mowry

I did search the faq section already before posting, and saw that nvidia cards don't like solidworks.
Rotating the model itself in the window is a bit slow, that's OK, it depends on the video card.
I tought that during the calculation process of adding the plates to the surface (calculating mate relations, element positions to display) mostly the cpu works (100% load), not the video card.
So our problem is lack of computing power. If the problem is the same with other softwares also, than I'll recommend to improve the HW, not changing the SW.

You can try other software but you'll find the same thing.

Can you post a pic? Also, can you get away with only patterning a small area? Do you HAVE to have the pattern complete?

Jason

Hunor, it's not exactly true that nvidia cards don't like SolidWorks--just the sort that you're running. The entire Quadro FX series is excellent with SolidWorks, with the exact card depending on the intensity of your modeling needs.

Faster processors are a good way to go. Consider the AMD 64-bit chips for good value/dollar. Dual-core is nice if you do many renderings or have lots of background tasks along with SolidWorks--otherwise, dual-core won't be of much use to you for modeling in SolidWorks, since SolidWorks doesn't support multi-threading to use the second CPU core.

Jeff Mowry

I did search the faq section already before posting, and saw that nvidia cards don't like solidworks.

Say what!!! Which faq suggests that? You are probably being confused by the gaming type cards. Most gaming type cards are not suitable for running 3D CAD software. Different rendering methods/engines are required. The nVidia Quadro series are recommended by SW.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I tried to pattern partially, but they needed the entire surface. Anyways if I tell them, there is no difference using this sw or other at that load, they'll step back, and tell, OK, simplify it, just show it us. Thanks for the help.

Can you give us more specifics? Exaclty how many are being patterned? "n" x "n"?

Also try unchecking "Geometry Pattern" in the pattern feature. This could speed it up. And under "Tools/Options/Performance I think, uncheck "Verification on Rebuild".

Jason

Why don't you break the pattern into a series of manageable patterns. Sure it is more number of steps but will be less intensive on the software.

Regards

14 x 72 elements are patterned. We divided it into more steps already, but did not try with "geom. pattern" and "ver. on rebuild" switches off.

Maybe the way we use the pattern feature is the cause, anyways an independent review of the softwares' capabilities would come handy.
IMO there cannot be such a significant difference between proe and sw.

Re: ACAD... I have a few photo-etched screens containing hundreds of holes that I draw in 2d ACAD. I have to show the entire pattern on the drawing. For my SW assembly model, I just create a simple shape and apply a "close enough" texture for visual purposes. In PDM, I check the ACAD drawing into the vault adding a ref to the simple model. This is the ONLY time I use ACAD for new work.

Maybe it is the way you use the pattern feature in SW, in Pro/E you can change the pattern to be Identical, Variable, or a General pattern. A 14x72 pattern of simple cube protrusions on a solid protrusion base takes:
5 seconds Identical
12 seconds Variable
3 minutes General (I think this one does more maths to allow the instances to intersect each other)
Are there any similar choices in SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back