Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1500 BAR @20 LPM WATER BASED SUBSEA FLUID PUMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanled

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2003
Im lookin for a water glycol based subsea fluid pump capable of generating 20lpm @ 1500 bar, can it be done?!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In theory yes...

However...1500 Bar is very high and water glycol is really bad at lubricating pumps.

The internal forces for the pump could be prohibitive.

That said...Marshalsea Hydraulics in the UK make stainless steel pumps for water glycol...but not to 1500 BAR...850 is about the maximum.

The British Royal Navy use a water glycol called OX40 in their submarines. The fluid is supplied by Hougton Fluids.

You might want to give Hougton a call and ask them if the fluid is suitable for such high pressures...

Funny things sometimes happen to fluids at high pressure...

Like I said 1500 BAR is very high

Good Luck

Hydromech

Many thanks for that, Ive been talking to Marshalsea and they ve been very helpful but the max we can get is 1000 BAR. Funny you mention the Royal Navy because I used to serve onboard HM Submarines but unfortunately the hydraulic pressures were nothing like 1500 BAR, well not on the boats I served on. There is a detail that I hav'nt mentioned is that the requirement for 20 Ltr @1500 BAR is only needed for intervals of 10 sec, 5 sec and 1 sec, so in other words its not needed to be sustained for long periods. Ive thought of using intensifers and accumulators but the accumulators at that pressure dont exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back