Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

16 hour SE Exam Review Material: Seismic Design Review Workbook by Steven T. Hiner- 2009 Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungEngineer02

Structural
Jul 19, 2014
US
I am currently preparing for the Lateral Component of the NCEES 16-Hour SE Exam, which references the 2009 IBC. Unfortunately, Hiner no longer prints copies of the 2009 version of his Seismic Design Review Workbook on his site. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find a copy?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I purchased a copy for my SE study regimen. In my opinion, if you have the other seismic books by PPI, you'll be just fine without the Hiner book. It's got to be getting a little out of date now anyhow.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

It's also worth noting that the book is very California specific. It's intended for the 1/2 day California special PE exam. Much of what is in that publication will be extraneous for the SE examinations. If I had to do it over again, I would have just kept reading ASCE 7 over and over until I ran out of time. That, plus your material codes that you won't have time to crack open anyhow, make up most of the exam.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

I'll throw in another "just kept reading ASCE 7 over and over until I ran out of time" recommendation. Also, the SEAOC seismic design manual volume 1 is really all you need. I read the cover to cover and it really helps with a lot of the problems you can expect to see on the exam.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

1) NDS
2) That NDS supplement that deals with wood and seismic.
3) Breyer and Cobeen have a great text.

I'll second what KootK said. Breyer's book is fantastic. If you don't have the newer special design provision for wind and seismic (SDPWS) that the exam uses it's available free online. Also, the NDS comes with a example booklet that can also help.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back