Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16 hour SE Exam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommaRe

Structural
Apr 15, 2009
US
I just saw on the NCEES website that in April 2011, all states are going to administer the 16 hour exam instead of SE1 and SE2.

Now, I've failed the SE1 three times. I'm a horrible test taker and won't go for the General PE with Structural because I've only worked buildings in the last 4 years. Previous to that I did work in bridges. I still dabble in bridges, but I'm mostly buildings now.

Anyway, so what is everyone's thoughts on this? I saw the breakdown, and it doesn't see so scary. I'd MUCH prefer the essay type questions to multiple choice. I'm thinking about just opting to wait on retaking an exam until then.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing that I don't see mentioned here. Didn't I read that the new test has another advantage? I believe that you can pass certain sections of the test without passing the entire test. If you fail certain sections, you only have to retake those sections. Right?

Regarding the SE, it's just for show in most states. I don't need it since I have passed the CE PE test. Though I feel I'd have a good shot, I would rather not take this test and have my employer know that I failed it. Not worth the risk.

Here is a listing of some links relevant to the topic of SE licensing.

This is a link to a power point presentation that summarizes the various US state’s requirements for an SE:

Here’s another one on various US State’s requirements:

NCSEA’s Licensing committee’s website:

A short report on SE licensing in the US:

At the very BOTTOM of this webpage there are links to the four parts of the 16 hour SE-III exam with detailed descriptions of its content:

I think you folks need to clarify the new designation that you are using to refer to the new combo SEI+SEII exam that will be in effect next year. It seems that most of you are referring to it as the "SEIII/SE3" exam. In my circle of friends, those of us that have SE licenses in Washington and California refer to the existing state-specific 3rd structural exam after the existing SEI and SEII as the SEIII. So referring to the new combo SEI + SEII exam as the SE-3 may be confusing to some people.

What I am wondering is those of us that have already passed the existing SEI and SEII exams is will we be able to get reciprocity as an SE in other states after the new exam is in effect?

Also,in California, to the contrary of what others have said, the SEI exam is not required to be an SE. You take the Civil PE, then the SEII and SEIII. As a civil engineer in California, you can practice structural engineering (just not hospitals, schools, etc.). without the SE license. I also wonder, will it still be legal for Civils to practice structural in California since the SEI was NEVER a requirement in California to begin with?

Blastresistant,

We refer to it as the SE-III because that is what the NCEES is calling it.

What I am wondering is those of us that have already passed the existing SEI and SEII exams is will we be able to get reciprocity as an SE in other states after the new exam is in effect?
Depends on the state laws regarding "grandfathering". Each state may handle it differently.

will it still be legal for Civils to practice structural in California since the SEI was NEVER a requirement in California to begin with?
I think again it depends on how each state handles it - but my guess might be that there would be some states that would balk at granting licenses to someone who hasn't taken the SE-1. I know when I applied to Illinois, they wouldn't accept the PE exam I'd already taken so I had to "retake" the SE-1 prior to them allowing me to take the SE-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back