Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1907 Lumber Design Values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutero

Specifier/Regulator
Jul 20, 2006
US
Actual 3x12 floor joists at 16" oc for the second floor of a former firehouse wanting to turn restaurant and banquet hall.

Where can I find design values and a reasonable assumption of species for this structure built in Door County, Wisconsin in the year 1907? Keeping in mind, the lumber is likely local.

The blueprint framing plans are drawn and laid out quite nicely, but, the wood species was not indicated.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can request wood species identification from the USDA Forest Products Lab, here is a link to get started

For allowable stresses, circa 1907, download the "Carnegie Pocket Companion - 1923" from my website (link below). See the discussion starting on page 288, followed by values for typical structural species taken from the 1911 edition of the American Railway Engineering Association (AREA). An interesting history.

[idea]

SlideRuleEra, or other,

I just found more from an apparent specbook accompanying the blueprints:

Floor joists: 3x12 sound #1 pine joists and 2x12 sound #1 hemlock free from shakes.

What might the term "sound" refer to? Actual?

Thank you ...

"Sound Cut" lumber is free from structural defects like rot, serious checking, loose knots, etc. It is essentially one step below "Clear Cut" lumber. That is, "sound" lumber is just as strong a "clear" lumber - it just does not look quite as good.

Also, if the lumber is dressed, be sure to check the actual dimensions - dressed lumber sizes "shrank" in the 1960's. Your 3x12's and 2x12's may be larger that those produced today.

IMHO, if you are confident of the grade and condition of the lumber you can use the current published allowable stress values - no need to use 1907 data. Unlike steel, whose material properties are very different today than they were 100 years ago, wood is still the same material - how to use it is just better understood now and higher values may be justified.

[idea]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back