Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1907 Reinforced Concrete Code? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbmusicguy

Structural
Mar 21, 2019
US
Hi All,

I am working on an old reinforced concrete beam that we believe is from the 1910s. We have no construction drawings or anything to go off of except the field measurements we have gotten so far.

I believe that the first reinforced concrete code was published in 1907, does anyone know where I can locate any of these old reinforced concrete codes? I have worked with a lot of old structures in my career and have used old codes but can only get back to the 50s.

Thanks!

RSB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can check with the ACI and find out when the first codes came out. Canada's first national code came out in the late 40s, and it wasn't widely adopted. Codes in the US may have been earlier, but again it depends on if the jurisdiction adopted the use of it. Stuff, back then, was sometimes designed on 'rule of thumb' and also there were numerous texts published that were used for design methods. You are likely pre code. You likely have square or twisted bars for reinforcing.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Wow - thanks guys! I am going to look into these codes now and will be a huge help.

RSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back