Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1950 Steel Joist designation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschulte

Structural
Sep 15, 2003
US
Does anyone have information on a joist designated as "2262" or "2463". The building was built in the early 1950's. The joist has tee shape top and bottom chords with rod web members. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Load tables would be nice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This has been answered numerous times... see SJI website (steeljoist.org) and get a copy of the 75 Year Manual, which gives joist info and tables going back to 1928.

Are you sure this is the way the joists are designated? I have a copy of the Joist historic manual from SJI and I do not see aything in there designated as such.

There was an 'S' series from the 20's through 1960. Makes me wonder if the 3rd number is really an 'S' not a '6'.

At 22" and 24" depths, my tables only shows '22S7', 22S8' and '24S8' joists.

Only other thought is that these are some kind of proprietary designation from some manufacturer.

Yes I checked the 60 year manual that we have in the office. No luck. I just rechecked the drawing and "2262" and "2463" are correct. Unless the 6 is a G. It doesn't look like the S that is printed on the drawings.

kshulte:

I was unable to spend time looking for the Macomber data last night but I will have more time this weekend to locate it.

Thank you. It looks like a bottom bearing truss. Where it is bearing on the end there is a tee that is knifed with the top and bottom chord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back