Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

1951 Longspan Joist Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress02

Structural
Feb 6, 2004
US
Looking at an old set of plans dated 1951 and there are two longspan joist designations that I don't see in my limited vintage literature.

First: (26" Longspan Joists #2610) x 51' clear
Second: (26" Longspan Joists #2614) x 51' clear

Anyone have any information on these?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like 26XX10 and 26XX14 with the letter designation for the series missing. I would think looking at what the typical series letters for longspan joists was at this time would be where to start. For example, if it was J series, my first guess would be 26J10 and 26J14. After that, beyond looking for tags on the actual joists, I would be at a loss. If you can find the manufacturer and measure the sizes of the members, that might help.

Around here the tags only give the shop's job number; nothing ever of help, especially since many companies from that era are gone, and if not, the shop drawings are certainly non-existant.

The real stumper is that no joist tables that I have use 26" as a standard design depth, but I have to think they used some sort of reference to design the building.

Do you have the 60-year joist manual from the Steel Joist Institute? I have used it very often to determine joist designations. Good luck.

We have lots of old joist catalogs in our office. We probably have the info you're looking for. Let me know how to get the info to you, and I can send you scanned pages.

JCali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back