Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

1965, 1966, 1967 ASME Section VIII Div I

Status
Not open for further replies.

IEngineer08

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2014
US
Can someone tell me the allowable stress for SA-240 304 and SA-312 304 materials at 500 F in either of these editions: 1965, 66, 67 ASME Section VIII Div I?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll bet you would've gotten a quick response if this had been posted to either the ASME Code Issues forum or the Boiler and PV Engineering forum.

Strictly speaking, the answer is "No, because Section VIII Div. 1 was not published until 1968."

I don't have access to the editions you are looking for. However, I do have a 1962 Section VIII which lists 15,100 for the high allowable stress (the usual note about application where deflection is not a factor) and 12,500 for the low allowable stress for both the plate and pipe at 500°F.

I also have a 1972 Section VIII Div. 1 which lists 15,900 psi and 12,100 psi.

Normally the values don't change much, clearly in this case they did. So... You either have to get a copy of the specific edition or you'll have to make a judgment call based on the circumstances, maybe back-calculate what the original design used to see if it aligns with one of the allowable stresses I've listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back