Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

1980's Rebar Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den32

Structural
Jan 29, 2009
US
Hi, checking an existing single-story concrete roof structure built between 1981-1983 in eastern Virginia, USA.

I know that both Grade 40 and Grade 60 rebar was available during that time period.

Does anyone know if Grade 60 was the 'standard' during that time? We don't know the rebar or concrete properties, so we need to make reasonable assumptions.

Will assume 3000 psi for the concrete which is probably conservative.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One-way slab spanning to beams. Single-story roof structure. No, mild reinforcing. We have the record drawings, but only the Plans & Section Sheets.

The Plan sheets refer to the "General Note Sheets" for design loads and strength properties, but we do not have those particular sheets.

I practiced in Richmond from 1970 to 1982. For 1981-1983, the standard was Grade 60 for everything except ties and stirrups, which were Grade 40. But Grade 40 was still available in larger sizes...I think.

@Den32 - Try thread507-212150. It provides a link to CRSI Engg. Data Report 48 which lists specs for rebars from 1911 to present.

My experience in all the 1980's was what hokie66 stated....60 grade for most bars and 40 grade for #3 stirrups and ties. Many times grade 40 for #4 stirrups and ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back