Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1980's trip computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missinglink

Automotive
Jul 23, 2010
GB
Hello everyone,I was advised to ask here aswell,from a fellow forum user in the Electrical section.
The trip computer has a connector on the back,which I have now been informed as an edge connector (thankyou Gunnar). As the OE connector are rare,would there be possibility to advance on the connector. I'm thinking maybe drill a 0.5mm hole in each track and solder in,another type of connector?

thanks in advance
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it is probably worthwhile measuring the connector - how many pins over what distance, one-sided or two, etc.
And how thick the board is, if it is two sided.
Then maybe you can figure out what connector it was, and if someone sells them now.

Do you have specs on the device, or are you going to reverse engineer it, or what?

And why?
For a nav computer to be useful, it needs current maps. And maps are configured according to the software that will use them.
(surprise!)

Jay Maechtlen

Thanks for your reply. I've managed to open up the trip computer,and take photos of the pcb,to see if it's possible to mount and convert the (beige area with silver tracks) board with a more ready available connector,as appose to the OE connector. You see,what happens is,when someone breaks the vehicle up for parts,they sell the computer without the connector,which makes no sense. As you can see in the photo with the OE connected,it shows 7 wires across and one below,which may cause an issue.
I hope this gives you an understanding
tripcomputerpcb2_zps62046383.jpg

tripcomputerpcb_zpsc559164a.jpg

tripcomputerpcb1_zps02aa0df9.jpg
tripcomputerconn3a_zps4148d7cb.jpg

The suggestion of using a higher density edge connector is probably the cleanest solution, overall. Alternately, you can simply find another set of connectors with at least that many connections, and pigtail the mating connector to the board by soldering directly on the edge connector.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back