Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 6 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab3

Industrial
Dec 4, 2008
US
I have recently switched to 2-6 focusing lenses due to cost. The first lens was troublesome to begin with. The second ran great until it got dirty. The third was good for two days, then suddenly it started acting up. No spots or apparent stress, put back in old dirty lens and it out preformed the new clean lens. Has anyone experienced this from 2-6 before? By the way, the lens case said it wasn't made in the U.S.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What machine do you have?

We have been using II-VI lenses for years. They last months.

We have received optics from Amada that say II-VI on them.

It is my understanding that II-VI supplies Amada all of their optics.

II-VI is the Cadillac of the Industry as far as optics and they suppy almost all the OEMs (Amada, Trumpf, Bysronic, etc).

You mentioned on your post that you checked the lens for stress. Did you check this with a couple of polarizing lenses? Can you also define the lens getting dirty?

I find it hard to believe you are having trouble with these lenses because they are the best in the industry.

What lens where you using before you switched to II-VI? Run the focal all the way up until the cut gets bad, then run it all the way down until it gets bad, then put 1/2 way between those points. Different lens can move the focal point. If you have adaptive optics, adjust the focal position manually if you can, adaptive optics work best if you keep them near flat.

Chris Krug

We used to get our lenses from Laser Tec. through our gas supplier. Now we get them direct from II-VI at about $250 a lens, much cheaper than other suppliers we've have dealt with. Which raises suspicion that they might be of less quality from overseas. I do use polarizing lenses to check stress, and i define a dirty lens as numerous spots most of them burned in. I do a focal point with each new lens as well. I'm not trying to bad mouth II-VI, just curious if I'm delusional or not.

Are you using the mp5 lenses? Everyone I know pretty much goes to II-VI to get away from the aggravation of dealing with inferior optics. I've heard nothing about any quality issues out in the field. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this.....

Chris Krug

By the way, which machine do you have? Are the lenses you are using plano/convex? meniscus?

Are the lenses you talk about 5" FL or 7.5"? If you are using 5.0" FL on thin material, are you going shutterless or pierce on the fly? What are you cutting that is causing a lot of spatter on the lens? Stainless? Aluminum? SS with PVC (Laser Film)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back