Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

#2 HEAVY FUEL OIL SURFACTANT FOR AGGREGATE WASHING 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nornimacthomaidh

Civil/Environmental
Jul 21, 2010
GB
I'm currently dealing with remediation of HFO impacting aggregate fill.

The main aim of the project is to wash the aggregate then utilise some stabilisation technique.

Firstly, Im wondering if anyone could advise of a brand/type of surfactant (pr alternative hydrocarbon washing agent) sufficient for aggregate washing of #2 HFO.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

#2 HFO seems to me to be an oxymoron. Is it #2 oil or is it HFO and if HFO, how heavy - what grade? #2 oil and Diesel are used synonymously although all #2 oil isn't diesel.

When the term HFO is used, it normally connotes something from #4 and up (to me at least - and the crowd I run with.)

rmw

OK, that's heavy - that's nasty, that's the bad stuff, certainly not #2.

How much are are we speaking of? Is this a little spot on the ground or a huge area?

And... you use the term "washing aggregate" and I notice your discipline is civil/environmental. Washing aggregate to me connotes doing it in machinery designed just for that purpose. Or are you referring to some other means?

rmw

rmw,

We're dealing with approx 30 - 50,000 litres within a fuel bund (to be decommissioned) that requires removing and disposal. We just need to remove the free product and dispose to an on-site waste oil holding tank.

Obviously the tank bund should be sound (however we have concerns that it isn't) therefore the remaining residual fuel and aggregate fill within the bund doesn't need to comply with stringent remdial target levels (contained waste).

Given the viscosity of the fuel, we will have issues removing all the free product from the bund, I have now considered using a mobile treatment unit with the application of quicklime or hydrated lime as a stabiliser. The aggregate will then be deposited back to the bund area.

Any other thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back