Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Liquid Level Measurment

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSDE08

Materials
May 30, 2008
AU
Hi All
Can you please let me know which level instruments are better to measure the level of the oil on top of the water.The is around The tank is a closed tank.

Thank you
INSDE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Displacement level instruments were traditionally applied to interface.

Guided wave radar is good for interface provided that the hydrocarbon dielectric constant is not too low. Normally this is not a problem. Magnetostrictive is not avvected by the dielectric. I prefer different technologies for the process control and safety shutdown measurements. I might look at GWR and magnetostrictive first; then consider other technologies.

I tend to avoid capacitance level instruments due to several issues.

JLS's Guided Wave Radar sounds like a good choice provided you don't have an emulsion layer.
A regular DP cell will work if you can get taps above and below the interface but you need to be carefull with the instalation detail.
We also use differential bubble tubes (Tantalum) in a particuarly nasty application. It's crude, old fashoned but it works very well.
Nuclear works well.
The Oil Patch still use a lot of displacers.
Roy

In similar applications of interface (level) measurements where radar is not a good fit due dielectric effects Displacement level instruments seem to work best. Fisher offers a product and Foxboro-Eckardt offers the same. The Eckardt one can do interface as well I believe.

There is a level istrument from Enraf (we use it). With a float you can measure the oil and when you want you can measure the water. The principle is based on detection of variations in the buoyancy of a displacer. The apparent weight of the displacer is measured by a force transducer. So there is a step motor to change the position of the displacer. If u want i can send u the manual.

REMEMBER IS NOT GREECE IS HELLAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back