Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2 offices share drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEngineeer

Structural
Sep 30, 2006
US
We have 2 offices and we would like to have a web drive where we can put all of our AutoCad typical details to share on both offices. We started with the same folders and we copy the folder to the other office. Now both offices are so different because both offices edit and add stuff constantly. Could you guys help me with what my options are? I want both offices to use the same folder so when we change something, it will effect everyone (i.e. plot style, typical details etc. So even though we have 2 offices, it will feel like we are in the same office. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

also I want the drive to act like a regular drive (like saving something to your local drive). When I worked for a big firm, they had a share drive like what I am talking about.

The way the big companies do this is with an "intranet". That requires some serious web-hosting horsepower and some big-time IT support.

You can just build a secure area on your web page and do drawing management out of that (check-out/check-in protocols and someone to manage it). Other than that, the price seems to go whay up really quickly.

David

we have a ftp site but you cant map it (so you have a drive symbol like z:) because it is in "my network". So we cant save something or edit something directly to that folder.

Consider adding in some form of versioning system, as well... that will cut down on two "supposed to be similar" files from branching off with multiple edits.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

A second vote for VPN. We don't have separate offices, but we frequently work from home. A VPN allows you to log into the server at the office using an internet connection. It then behaves just like you were plugged into the LAN, but slower.

-b

vpn is different though. I want people to work on local puter but able to use 1 shared folder. I dont want remote connection.

You don't want a remote connection to your LAN? Are your two offices in different locations? Then a VPN sounds like it would fit your needs. If your two offices are in the same location, then I don't understand the issue.

By the way, I have seen services that offer web storage ( I never tried them, but maybe that would fit your needs.

Two offices in different location of course! Travismack, I dont think that will act like a local drive (since it needs a web browser).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back