Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 parts, Subtract 1 part from another part

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid34works

Civil/Environmental
Jun 30, 2007
Hi,
I have 2 parts. I want to subtract one part from another part. Basically I want to remove part 1's material from part 2 because in the assembly part1 will be inside part 2.
Part 1 solid is very complicated and I do not want to go through the same features in the part 2 solid. I just want to import part 1 into part 2, make some mate and delete part 1 material from part 2.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But how do I combine? I open part 2 first and then import part 1 as IGES file. But then I can not do anything.
I would appreciate if you could explain how to import part 1 in part 2.

Thanks a lot.

To 'import' a part into another part, you can either use Insert > Part, or just drag and drop.

Convert the IGES files to solid SW parts before trying to combine them.

I do not have access to youtube site from the office network. Is there any text reference or other sites where I can look this thing in details? Please let me know.

Thanks,

The Help files and Help > Tutorials.

Also got to SolidProfessor.com and download their "Learning Management System" for lots of sample tutorials of SWs capabilities.

Which version are you using?

Earlier versions had to use use the Move Body command.

If you are using SW2009, check the Help Index for mates > in multibody parts.

When you perform the insert part without using drag drop. The property manager the second Group Box >> Locate Part has a check box to launch move dialog which becomes part of (embeded with) the Insert Part feature.

You may also launch Move/Copy afterwards to have the Mates show as a separate feature.

If you missed the option the first time you can right click and edit the Insert Part feature, check off the Locate option and Hit okay to add the mates as part of the Insert Part feature.

getfile.aspx

getfile.aspx

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back