Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

-20¦F LCWT on an air cooled chiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuccus

Petroleum
Jun 19, 2003
US
Hello guys and thanks for reading my issue I have here.

I have quite a bit of chiller experience, but this is a new one for me. I am looking for a commercially available air cooled chiller in the net 100 ton range. The issue is it needs to be able to produce -20°F LCWT with -10 to -5° return temperature. I have heard rumors that this is possible, but none of my contacts in the chiller industry think they can go that low.

Efficiency is not an issue as the value of the product being cooled is much more that the power that will be need to run this chiller. I know that I am going to need in the +40% glycol type solution. It needs to be able to operate in the 110°F DB conditions.

Anyone know if there is a commercially available air cooled chiller that can make it with no or little modifications. So far the only thing I have been able to come up with is cascading type systems. I am trying to build as simple as a solution as I can.

Thanks

Zuccus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The lowest a typical packaged Air-Cooled Chiller can supply is about 10 F (Trane CGAM) to 15 F (Carrier 30RB), with the typical 'low temp' options.

I'm not sure how you're going to achieve a LChWT of -20 F @ 110 F Ambient.
The lowest I've had to supply before is 15-17F, and that is for Ice Rink applications.
I'm interested in seeing what others have up their sleeve.

that belongs to refrigeration scope, not hvac.

specifying refrigeration system is not particularly complicated, but if you do not want to bother, you can order system from some refrigeration contractor/supplier, who will assemble system for you with manufacturers chosen up to their preferences. for operation and maintenance purposes, quality of compressor is single most important element, of course.

There is a company in India called Scanair -- they go up to 50T in standard range, and also do custom. I have not used them, contact at your own risk. Reynolds is another name. Pharmaceutical and food processing industries seem to be the market served for extra-cold chillers in large sizes.

For more, try these two phrases in Google:

air cooled chiller +cryogenic

--and--

+brine chiller air cooled

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back