Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

200 kip vehicle load 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregonaut

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2008
US
Has anyone heard of a 200 kip vehicle load? I am supposed to design a concrete slab with a 200-kip rated hatch. That is all the info I have for it. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this loading and does it cover a specified area? or is it just a point load? I am curious because I need to design the slab thick enough so this hatch doesnt shear-punch through the slab when loaded!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've heard of permit vehicles in that range but never a 200-kip wheel load, for a truck. The 200-k would be distributed over many axles.

Aircraft wheel loads could be in that range.Are you designing the hatch for a DC-10?

no its not an airport, i believe airplane loads that we design for are 183-kip. i was thinking maybe a giant forklift for some port?

oh wait! nevermind all! the customer just called and says the contractor is jumping the gun. but, it turns out it was a 747 airplane, and the load was 800-kips spread over three axles.

So thank you bridgebuster for your comment! but i guess this slab was just another pipe-dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back