Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000i 3D Hide Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudnik

Civil/Environmental
Dec 17, 2002
US
Acad2000i, W2K SR2

One of our guys drew up a 3d fence, then selected a nice viewpoint. The fence is composed of 3d solid posts and a 2d fence fabric. (Ah calls it "Pig wahr") All was well, then for no reason he could figure, the solid fence posts no longer would hide the fabric. A 3dhide worked on the editing screen, but not in the plot. Seems like a variable must have changed, but we're 3d weaklings. Duh.

Cheers . . . . Rocky

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure did I understand your problem, but try this.
If you plot from model tab, check box "Hide objects" in plot dialog box , or if you are plotting from layout, select viewport you want to plot hidden and in object properties box (Modify -> Properties) switch "Hide plot" option to "yes".

Thanks muchly for the reply. The suggestion to check the Hide OBjects box and check Yes for Hide Plot Option did not work . . . darn it!
Let me restate the problem better. We are looking from a viewpoint at a 3d assembly involving extruded vertical posts in front of a 2d plane on which is drawn a grid representing a wire fence.
Our operator 2d HIDEed the view, and the solid posts hid the grid behind the posts. He plotted it, and the posts hid the grid OK. That was good. As he edited the drawing to "fix" a few things, the posts suddenly, after a regen, no longer "hid" the grid. The plot was no longer correctly HIDEing.
So he tried 3dHIDE -- the "HIDE" looks OK on the screen, but plots "UN hidden". Not sure why things changed suddenly, nor how to get the posts to hide the 2d grid, again.

Cheers . . . . . Rocky

I'm not fully conversant with what you are saying but check the command "hideprecision", this should be set to "1"or "on" . Hopefully this will assist your problem. Also check that the 2D mesh you have created is in the correct plane ,ie not to far forward or behind the posts

hope it helps
pcw

one other thing I thought of. If you are plotting using paperspace, then click on your viewports and check thru the properties dialog box that all viewports are set to 'hide' you should be able to check this by doing a hide thru the viewport

pcw

Maybe completely off the mark here but is it something to do with the order its drawn in. Or the disply order?

There is a command that makes AutoCAD display things in a specific order. If you have the fence posts displayed before the fabric then your problem should be solved?

Sorry not sure of the command and have not got the time to look for it.

Cheers
Danjo

Thanks for the ongoing help! We tried Draworder right off the bat. We moved one of the posts a foot. We drew a new post just as a test, in front of and unconnected to the rest of the drawing. We just tried Hideprecision. All of these did not work. We also just tried pasting the subject drawing into a new, scratch drawing. Actually, we did get a little of the background entities to Hide in the plot, but only about 15% worth.
And finally, we just tried the ultimate workaround -- we WMFOUTed the correct screen display, plotted it and . . . nope, no HIDE. Auuuggghhh!

I suppose it is AutoCAD 2000 bug. I've seen plotted drawings of furniture from viewpoint. There polyline was as limits of the room and unhided too. The cupboards were made in 3D solids and inserted as blocks. And this phenomenon appeared only on AutoCAD 2000.

I have also had the problem of incorrect hiding with AutoCAD 2000. I think the problem may be related to larger and more complex 3d solid models, or to the distance of the objects from the WCS origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back