Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2002 Subaru Impreza Cold Weather Fuel Leak Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattNCSU03

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2005
US
If there are any 2002/2003 Subaru WRX Impreza owners on the forum, Subaru is finally taking responsibility for a cold weather fuel leak on 02/03. If your registration is up to date with Subaru, you should be receiving a letter extending warranty coverage on the fuel lines to 12 years/unlimited miles.

[small]Subaru has initiated a voluntary regional recall to replace specific engine fuel lines and hoses
on approximately 5,724 2002 and 2003MY Impreza WRX models registered in 16 “cold weather” states located in NOAA Climate Zone 1.

The affected states are:
Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York,
South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Campaign code WVK-21 has been assigned to this regional recall.
In extremely cold temperatures, a certain engine fuel line/hose may
temporarily seep some fuel during initial cold engine start up.
If this condition occurs, vehicle occupants may notice the smell of fuel.
To correct this condition, affected vehicles will require replacement of the engine fuel delivery line and hose.
A special repair parts kit will be available in the near future.
The kit contains all parts needed to complete this repair.

Additionally, Subaru will follow up in early CY 2010 with letters to owners
that it will provide an extended 12 year/unlimited mileage warranty for this
condition to owners of affected vehicles located in the remaining 34 states.
[/small]

More information and discussion is available over at the NASIOC Forums

For the non-owners over here, the engineering tip to take away is to always consider thermal expansion (and in this case contraction) of materials in your designs. In this case, two metal fuel lines are connected with a rubber elbow. During cold weather (in my experience 35°F and below), the rubber hardens and breaks the seal between the elbow and the metal fuel line causing raw fuel to drip, and sometimes spray into the engine bay. No fires have been reported but the vapors quickly fill the passenger compartment. Essentially, whenever I am driving below highway speed in the winter, I need to have the HVAC set to recirculation and the defrost on to breathe easy.

It's not a case of contraction in this case but the selection of the "rubber" compound. In this case the TR-10 point is too high. The TR-10 is the temperature at which an elastomer is able to retract 10%. Below that it is basically rigid and can no longer function as a seal. Most static seals will continue to work to about 10 degrees C lower than the TR-10 point. That's a really poor material choice if it is loosing sealing above 0 C. Typically, the design goal is -30 or -40 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back