Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2004 drawings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

macduff

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2003
US
Has anyone notice that the 2004 drawing functions are a little squirrelly? It's seems that there are little bugs in some of the functions and it's driving me nuts. We made the move this week to 2004 SW/PDM and the following are some of my finds.

1. Datums are very hard to move around and also don't comply with the ANSI standard. The suction cup (triangle) is not an equilateral triangle.

2.Basic dimension boxes are not the same size boxes as the GD&T and datums. (This might have been in 2003 too)

3. Difficult to dimension off a section line (almost impossible).

4. When in lock view focus, things end up in other views.

5. I'm sure there'll be others.

Overall, I'm not very happy with the 2D functionality, but I can still get things done with a little work. I hope SW pays more attention this.

FYI, I have the graphics card that SW recommends.

Let me know your thoughts.....

macduff [neutral]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) I have had no problem moving datums. Just click on the "0" dimension, grab the attachment point & drag to any other point of choice.

2) I never use boxes.

3) Thats because you are not meant to! Section lines are to show where a section view is taken, they are not an actual feature of a part. Pick an actual part feature to dimension to. (Hole centre, edge, etc)

4) I have not experienced this.

5) Probably, are you using the latest SP?

I'm not very happy with the 2D functionality
Most users aren't!

but I can still get things done with a little work
Most users do!

I hope SW pays more attention this
Apparently they have in SW2005!

Finally ... I try not to have thoughts ... it hurts the brain too much ... anyway, you really would not want to know them ... they are too weird & messed up. [bigsmile]

Good luck sorting out your ... ummm ... squirrels.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] If everything is going well, you have obviously overlooked something [lol]

1-2) I can't truly answer these because I never use them.

3) If you mean the line in the Parent view. Then just RMB the Section line and click "Edit sketch". Add a Dimension then highlight the line and Rebuild the drawing.

4) That's not true in any of my cases and as far as I know none of our customers are seeing this either.

5) There are people out there that see 2D in SW, to be great and others to see it as you do. You can't make everyone happy, but at least they (SW) try to accomidate everyone. In SW05 they say they spent over 80% or more of their time in 2D. We will see when it comes out.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Hello!
Could somebody tell me how to make hardware (screw, pins, etc) un-sectioned on the broken-out section?
Thanks in advance, Steve

Well, those screws and pins came from Solid Works Toolbox. Here is another question. How can I change ITEM Number in a balloon and reflect it in BOM? I used autoballoon or individual balloons, but once it SW assigns item # it would not let me change it even after the first balloon inserted. I can change it to the custom #, but I can not update BOM Item #.

How can I change ITEM Number in a balloon and reflect it in BOM? I used autoballoon or individual balloons, but once it SW assigns item # it would not let me change it even after the first balloon inserted. I can change it to the custom #, but I can not update BOM Item #.
Thanks!

Can anyone answer my question about the SW2005 drawing enhancements? I'll really have a promblem with datums poping up in the middle of nowhere (not attached)in the field of my drawings. This happens when I reload the drawing.

SW2004 SP4.1

thanks,

Macduff [spin]
Meggitt Airdynamics Inc.

Hi macduff,
We see most of your problems listed here also. The datums popping up is annoying. We don't see them until after the dwg is printed. I updated to SP4.2 and so far have not seen it happen. Hope all is well. Talk to ya soon.
ctopher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back