Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2004 Saving Problems....help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernDrafter

Civil/Environmental
Nov 7, 2002
US
One guy in our office, who is using 2004 cannot save his drawings. He's getting this "being accessed by another session" baloney. Of course, no one is in the drawing but him. Everyone else in the ofice (2004 and 2002) has no problems at all. Just this one computer.

I've been working with cad for a long, long time, and I have never come across this problem. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the drawing he is working in being xref'd into another drawing? If so, there is a setting you should change, probably on everbody's machine. If you go into options, then the open and save tab, there is an area for xref's. Make sure that demad load is "enabled with copy" and NOT "enabled"

Not sure if this is the problem or not, but it is worth a check.

No, he's not using any ref's. But thanks for the setting tip, I'll take care of that while I'm at it. My guys are just starting to enter the wonderful world of x-refs.

We're not using a Novell server (I doubted the server being the problem anyway, since only one computer is having this problem. I have checked the other problem witht he 3d driver, but that seems to apply only to 2000 and 2000lt. He is using 2004.

I might also add, that when this problem occurs, Acad automatically saves the drawings as a .tmp file. However, this save does NOT include any changes that were made. It seems to just backup the drawing in its original state before changes were made.

I tell ya....it's a real head scratcher!

some easy to overlook items...does his machine have all the current patches? i had a similiar problem when i first installed 2004.. if i opened a drawing from the recently-used files list i would get the open as read only bit....at some point in time it stopped i'm not sure when i'd only use this to replot a drawing and wasn't paying any real close attn: to it as i was able to work around it by using windows to open a file. another place to check

I don't think there are any patches installed at all. where might I find those patches. I have found updates and servicepacks for earlier versions, but I haven't found any for 2004. Any links to those would be great, if anyone knows of any.

thanks

do you use the communication center it will look and let you know anytime something is available it might be the os on his pc....check there too i was refering to updates and service packs when i said patches sorry for the confusion check his system....who knows..

So many possibilities...I've had this occasionally in Acad 2002. Unfortunately, I can't remember if the following procedure had anything to do with it....but no harm in checking. Check the particular drawing concerned(we'll call it drawing no. 1) and see if there is another drawing (drawing no. 2) xref'd into it which has a common xref attachment. In other words, your drawing no. 1 is possibly trying to access the same xref twice?
If this is so, then unload the xref from the drawing no. 2 before attaching it again to drawing no. 1
I don't know if this makes a difference, but no harm in trying.
Good Luck

There were no x-refs in the drawing. However, the problem has ceased to exist in any other drawings, only one in particular. We never could figure it out, so I just finished the drawing on my comp. So far, no other problems.

I do appreciate all the responses though, and we did manage to correct another problem based on these solutions. Thanks again.

This may be a longshot, but we have had some issues in the past with the NIC not communicating with the server and then glitching the save. If you can, try another NIC and see what happens.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back