Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2004 slow on XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsheets

Automotive
Dec 4, 2002
US
I did a thread search and I hope I'm not re-hashing a subject, but we need help.

We recently updated from 2001 to AutoCAD Mechanical 2004. All is well except (1) out of (19) seats. The problem child is a Gateway P4 3 Ghz with 2 Gb of ram and a 3Dlabs Wildcat 880 Pro. This is our premier system (it's mine!) and I use it for Algor FEA as well.
I run XP Pro 2002 SP1 as a user with admin rights. Our network is a 100gb optical with a new server dedicated to our workgroup. My system just crawls in ACAD!! On all but the most rudementary commands the cursor goes away for 5 to 15 seconds (time in on your watch!!) Our IT guys are stumped.

I have worked local from C:\Temp - no diff
I have shut down AV, Quicktime anything else I could find _ no diff
I have logged in as workstation only (Novell net)- no diff

The only thing that fixes it, is to log on as Administrator (not user with admin), then it screams!! I have searched the Autodesk knowledge base and ID:TS45410 clearly identifies the problem as "permission issues" but offers no solution or work around. I'll end the post (too long) and hope to hear from somebody.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I do not understand exactly the architecture of your network but you should try de-activating the network adapter.
Then if it is still not working properly you should reinstall the Autocad.
Have you tried monitoring the processes and re-arranging the priorities in the Task Manager ?
When autocad is running in the background how are the other applications working ?

I will de-activate the adapter, We have re-installed both XP (1x)and ACAD(2x) on this system. The XP is a full install not the Gateway supplied, it was found to have problems. We purchased a full install just for this system. I have used task Mgr to monitor CPU and Net usage and didn't see any net traffic but CPU tops out while the application is in that halted state when the cursor disappears. Priorities appear to be appropriate. I cannot percieve effects on any of the other apps I run (Office 2003 w/Access and Project, Algor).

Thanks for your response, I will immediately try the adapter knock down.

Its been 2 months but if I remember We had to log in as Administrator to install, won't swear by it. I'll check with my IT guys and see if they are game for another install.

Thanks again for your input, havn't got the okay yet to unistall the net adapter yet, still trying.

Can't unistall the adapter, we use a net based license server so ACAD won't load without a connection. Out IT guy started ACAD without the Mechanical package and it runs fine??? Any more thoughts?

Thanks in advance

bobsheets-
Hi. I had the same problem awhile back (or one that sounds like what you've described). I solved mine by setting my machine id in windows system setup to server instead of workstation, because of the difference in how windows handles file access and transfer, and got my speed back. I don't know if that's been done yet or if it applies in your case, but that's how I cured the symptoms you described, on my system.
Good luck!
cfee

cfee;
Thanks for the suggestion, I forwarded to our IT guru. At least we're giving him a reason to keep trying.
Is there anywhere I can go to see what its present set-up is?

Thanks

IFR's;

Thanks for the reminder, I went and checked my version this morning and its current. We watch that very closely because Solidworks is our primary design tool, ACAD is used for legacy drawings only. Solidworks is very finicky about video drivers and cards.

Thanks anyway!!

Does Autocad respond properly for any commands? For instance, is there a difference between built in commands like "LINE" and shortcut commands like "LI" and custom commands? Do you use customized acad.mnu or acad.lsp files? Do you use any odd fonts? Does it happen on all drawings? Does it happen on new, blank drawings? Does it only happen with Mechanical commands?

Let's look at your statement "Our IT guy started ACAD without the Mechanical package and it runs fine". This makes it sound like it is just the Mechanical package that is giving you trouble. Is Acad server based or just the Mechanical package? Are your computer's network name, computer name and MAC address properly set and authenticated, and not duplicated anywhere? Is the enterprise license set up properly and not maxed out?

Does your computer have any software firewall setup? Definitly do not use the Windows XP one. Does your computer have any anti-virus software? Try disablint it. Same with anti-spyware. Are you mapping drives that might conflict with the server's identification?

Are your TCPIP settings the same as a computer that does work well?

Just as a check, take a look at the 3dLabs forums on their site. There can be issues depending on how AutoCAD interacts with its display drivers. Good luck.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

IFRs:

When started with the Mechanical extention all operations are affected, but the "AM" commands are worse by far. If the "properties" Window is active it really slows everything down. You are correct that it is specific to the "mechanical" extention.

We don't have any custom menus or commands or acad.lsp. As I said our use is legacy manipulations only and fortunately being the supervisor I do the least of them. I do call a custom .arg to get my preffered toolbar selections and thats all.

Our set-up is all ACAD files are installed locally and the license is obtained over the WAN to service all of our remote locations. Its nice, I can access from home!

Everything appears to be good as far as Novell Client and XP Pro. I went over your post with one of our IT guys and he checked my system. We have unused license count most times and it seems to be unrelated to the problem.

We run Panda AV, I have tried with it disabled with no effect.

We did identify that we are on SP0.0, installation of 3.0 is scheduled for this weekend. This is the same on all seats, so it should not have an effect. Our firewall should prevent spyware, but they are checking to make sure we can scan locally.

Thanks for the time you've invested. It is appriciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back