Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2004 sp3.0 created two solidworks directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheetmetalman

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I downloaded sw2004-0.0-3.0-i.exe, doubel clicked, and it wanted to extract to a folder named sw2004-0.0-3.0-i, which of course is an illegal folder name. so I directed it to swdist, and went on with the instalation, which required the original disk, and basicaly toatly re-installed solidworks in a folder named c:\program files\solidworks(2). The folder named c:\program files\solidworks is still present and has sub-directories, and files. It can't be re-named or removed without preventin solidworks from running. Solidworks seems to run fine, but I dont think this is right, and probably will not lend itself to further updates. My var said he dosn't know anybody who has been able to aply this service pack.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not understand your problem. I have done this several times and never had a problem.

I had no problem installing the sevice pack. I just check and I still only have the original directory. Is your version of solidworks 2004 the first downloaded version that version would not let you do service pack upgrades.

When you download that *.exe file and run it. It opens a Self extracting zip program. You should have let it run it's own course and let it place the default folder instead of giving it a new name and location. Once it's installed it runs itself and upgrades your version of SW.

With SW04 WI installer - it's impossible to install more than one copy on to you HDD. If your using a older version of like SW03 then you could install more than just one install on your system if you used Traditional.

Have you tried deleteing the folder to see if you get the message "By deleting this folder some program may not function correctly" - Or something to that effect. if you don't I would delete it. If you do then I would do a uninstall and reinstall of SW - FAQ559-488 - Use the CD's to make your initial install 0.0 - Download the SP3.0 and run it. Let it run it's own course and once your SP is installed you can go back and remove the folder it made.

If you have problems with this or with the installation procedure you need to read the Install instructions at the SW website (where you downloaded the file at) -
Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

The c:\program files\solidworks(2) folder does get created if a roll-back is performed on the SP. It basically does similar to an uninstall and re-install without cleaning up the directories. As Scott said, just take the defaults and let it run it's course. It probably rolled itself back when it had an error.

I tried to let the exe run it's normal course. as scot said it's a self extractor, and when I clicked unzip, the error I got was "cannot creat folder" "sw2004-0.0-3.0-i". I did install 0.0 from cd with no prob's.

I have the same scenario on two machines so far, but it happened at install. I installed 2001 Plus and then temporarily changed the folder name so as to install 2004. After installing 2004 I noticed there were 3 folders, SolidWorks01, SolidWorks 2004 and SolidWorks 2004(2).

It seems the SolidWorks 2004 folder consists of \SolidWorks data\lang\english\ and then just two SWBrowser files.
The other folder contains everything else.

I haven't mucked around with these as everything works fine. I've even installed the SW2004 0.0-3.0 service pack without any issues.

I haven't tried this but you could temporarily rename the smaller folder instead of deleting it to see what it affects.

Is this a Windows-version issue? That folder name (sw2004-0.0-3.0-i) is perfectly legal in XP (& presumably 2000).

If you are running XP or 2000 then I think there's another reason why it wouldn't create the folder. I don't have a clue as to what, though.

When trying to install sw2004-0.0-3.0-i.exe in windows 2000 from a write protected network directory, I could not create folder also. What I did was copy sw2004-0.0-3.0-i.exe to the desktop. Then delete it after install. Also make sure you have SolidWorks 2004 SP 0 on your system by checking the SolidWorks about help.

Bradley

THANKS BRADLEY, I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL THE SERVICE PACK FROM A CD..I'LL TRY IT FROM AN AREA THAT IS NOT WRITE PROTECTED
DOSE ANYONE KNOW IF A WINDOWS 2000 UPDATE OR "CRITICAL FLAW" TOOK AWAY WINZIP'S ABILITY TO CREATE DIRECTORIES FROM SELF-EXTRACTING ZIP FILES?
AS BEGGAR SAID sw2004-0.0-3.0-i IS A LEGAL DIRECTORY NAME,
IT WAS WINZIP THAT COULD NOT CREATE IT....

The same thing happen when I went from sp2.1 to sp3.0 I downloaded the file to my hard drive and ran it just the same as I have in the past, I hadn’t realised that it had created a second solidworks directory till I read this post and checked
The only problem I have had since, is when I edit a configuration custom property I get this message

The properties .txt file cannot be located at the specified location
C:/program files\solidworks\lang\englishThe solidworks software will use the properties.txt file located at <install_dir> \lang\english.
These things could be related
I will contact our tec support on Monday and see what they say

sheetmetalman

The same error ocurred to me. I don't now exactly what's wrong, but it seems that the zip is pointing to somewhere it can't access. Just put a "c:\" preceding the folder name "sw2004-0.0-3.0i", in the extract window, and everything will work OK!

Regards

I discovered that this was an isue created by the fact that I was installing from a C.D. When I copyed the files to a local drive, and removed the "r" attribute, all went well.
Thanks to all for the help.....

I haven’t seen any good explanations to this issue yet so I’ll give it a try

I’ve heard that lots of people encounters problem with multiple SolidWorks folders but I’ve never understood what they where doing wrong until today when I help a guy in our office.

The problem is if a person goes in to the already unzipped folder he finds a couple of folders and files. And because he is about to upgrade from, lets say sp0.0-sp3.0, the file that most people chooses to click is sw2004-0.0-3.0-i.msp. SolidWorks then makes a new installation parallel to sp0.0 and puts it by default in SolidWorks(X) because there already is a SolidWorks folder.

Of course he should instead click the swspmanager.exe and the just follow the instruction to do an upgrade

Regards,

Sam

The problem occured because the .msp file was used for the service pack upgrade instead of the swspmanager.exe file. This is a known SW issue. You MUST make sure that the swspmanager.exe file is used for the upgrade or WI will create a hybrid version of the SP upgrade that has 2 folders.

This problem can be confirmed if you can't save as pdf from a part or assembly file and with some other wierd happenings. Uninstall (deleting all folders manually) and reinstall SW and make sure you use the swspmanager.exe to upgrade the SP.

It happened to us and this was the fix.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back