Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2005 Crosshair Color Ow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudnik

Civil/Environmental
Dec 17, 2002
US
Acad 2005.
I set model background to color 9 (Lt Grey) and cursor color to color 60 (Bright Yellow-Green). It displays just fine on the little preview window in the Color/Font dbox in Options.

But on the screen, the word "Model" on the model tab is Ylw-Grn all right, but the cursor is a dull color. Tech support said that I had selected too bright a color for the grey background. HUH??? So I tried a pink color. Same thing . . . but, honestly, it looked like AutoCAD was subduing or dulling down the crosshair color -- no matter what I selected. But it always looked right on the model tab text.

I will surely appreciate knowing how to get my xhair color to appear correctly!!! All help will be richly paid for. (By my everlasting good will)
Thanks . . . Rocky

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Spudnik,

When I started using AutoCAD, I used the light gray screen as a background because it was closer to the paper I was used to drawing on. I've been through Ver's 9 -14 and now using 2002 and even with the improvement in PC hardware, the wishy-washy colours were still there on the light background. I think it's a fact of life and I had to get used to the black background but the colours are great. I realy don't think there is a fix.

Haggis

FYI, the physical size of the preview pixels will make any color you choose look more "intense". When you go back to autocad, the amount of background will "dull" your cursor color. Some cursor colors wiill appear to "flicker" as they are moved also. You just need to experiment.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Thanks for the responses, guys!
Ummm . . . I should have posted that all of our R2000i seats work just fine with the grey background and the yellow-green cursor. They look (on the editing screen) just like the preview. On the R2005 screen the yellow-green looks like a dark rust color. !

I will not use a black background. The grey background is the only color that will show light, dark, and even grey line satisfactorily. (Namely, all of our std. pensets)

Do you think it could be a video card problem? This was not set up as a CAD computer . . .

Thanks, Rocky

I also had no problem with my recently-gone R2000i with crosshair and pickbox colors on a grey (Color 9) background. In the new R2005, my magenta (And later, Yellow) show up dirty grey -- barely distinguishable. The only std color that works is black.

BUT . . . there's more! We use SOLID hatches a lot for printing out areas that are screened (halftone) On some colors of hatch the Magenta (& Yellow) cursor AND pickbox disappear if they are within the hatched area. Hard to pick anything. This is a major Owie, and I do believe that this is a bug. Is there a bugcheck site, anymore?
Dealer Tech Support is acting strange, and saying only "play around with the colors". BTW, we do have brand new Dell CAD computers with CAD-style nVidia graphics adaptors. I'm gonna go see if there is an updated driver.

Whose tail is wagging whose dog, anyway!!!

(Deep breaths . . .) Rocky

Are you talking about just how AutoCAD looks or printing output. With printing to a black and white printer, you will need to print with a monochrome print style. If you are talking about appearance of AutoCAD, colors should not appear grey, something is wrong. Make sure the cables are seated well and that the video card is seated. We too have recently acquired some new Dells with CAD cards with no issues. Try the card on another computer as a test (another idea).

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back