Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2005 NDS Supplement Lumber Design Values Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sponton

Structural
Nov 11, 2014
MX
Hiya,

I'm writing some python code to automatize design of individual member based on loading conditions. Anyways, I haven't had the chance to do re-write the whole NDS set of tables to a spreadsheet and I would like to know if anybody has or has run into an spreadsheet that contains all the wood properties already. Any help I'd appreciate :) Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried to ask this question as well...

If you don't mind (sorry I am of no help), I had a few questions for you...
I have just started to learn python. I'd like to start creating calculations as you describe. I'm curious though:
What resources have you found helpful in this process?
What made you want to start writing calcs in python?

Thanks!

EIT

First of all,

Python is free, it has great support and it's easy to program (they've kept it pretty straightforward) and its syntax is supposed to resemble common tongue rather than having something like:

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
int number;

printf("Enter an integer\n");
scanf("%d",&number);

printf("Integer entered by you is %d\n", number);

return 0;
}
which is a lot of lines for something so simple. As for the resources, I normally just google whatever I want to do to find if there's an existent library or command that performs the function directly or if I have to program it myself. PLUS they have scipy package which is basically all MATLAB functions (with a few tweaks) so if you feel like doing matrix algebra or FEA or anything, you don't have to start from scratch.

and to answer the original question, there is a spreadsheet and it's $50 in the NDS website, but then again, who has that kind of cash to spare, I don't. That's why I'm asking for the spreadsheet made by someone who actually bothered to do it by hands to help a few lazy bastards like myself.

I asked a similar question as well but pertaining to ASCE 7 c&c wind tables and the response I received was "Can I get you some coffee too?".
Anyway, I'm a big python fan also and moved to it after lots of Matlab programming during grad school. I have mostly been doing things in excel the last few years since the interface, calcs, and report are all done at once but there are some pretty great modules out there now that should let you use excel as your interface and report and use python as the backend. I'm pretty excited to give it a shot.

ah yeah, i've seen it. It's sort of like VB integration, I mean at least it helps the visual part but i am planning to do a complete engineering package with python and commercialize it for a minimum amount $$ or release it on GPL for people to use, I've just started but it's going to take a while...

sponton -> I have the same dream. I'm learning python now. Seriously if you would like to have a some assistance/partner whatever let me know I would be more than interested. Also checkout SMath, very good program. I would love something like a combination of SMath with calc modules using python or some other more powerful language. Where you could create a calculation "report". All loads could be kept in one place with the ability to update everything by keeping things interlinked.

EIT

@Rfreund

That's basically why I chose python, it works in modules so it can decompose very complex projects into smaller simple modules and everything can share information. If you want to, we can sort of exchange e-mails and tackle the project together. I think there's no better practice in analysis than coding and seeing how things get done rather than using the black boxes that people are so fond about, I've seen some people using design information that makes no sense but that has been obtained from a software package..

I have some matlab stuff as well, like plate bending, 3d FEA, some of them are quite elegant but I need to take the time to translate them into python, also I was looking for a way to see if it would be possible to read dxf files of simple line models and get centers of rigidity and mass and such, for masonry short building design.

Sponton, I would say there is definitely room for something like that in the market. Especially if you aimed at being a enercalc replacement.

@rn14

I actually use enercalc at work and it's all right for certain things, but it's rather limited in use and it's not really clear what methods it uses.

anyways, here's the first wood table for anybody who's interested. I found a python code that is able to unlock the documents, so i'll feed you the formatted table via excel files.

[pre]TABLE 1B[/pre]

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f1a360e1-9485-4268-84bf-92063b864a3c&file=Table-1B.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back