Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2006...? PDM disappoints once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

emc2673

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2004
US
Tech support, even the VAR in my area promised remarkable changes in PDM 2006. WOW it comes to no surprise that the problems and requests that I was told "would" be fixed in this release have once again reared its ugly head.

1) changing projects (with sub-projects) into other projects does not work... now what does work is that you can now select multiple files (vs. one by one)take ownership of said files and select change project but the project and sub-project folders do not migrate along with the files, so instead, the project folders are left behind and all the files are then "moved" to its new project but are now in one lump project folder. This is useless to us since some our projects are organized with many sub-projects and sub-sub-projetcs.

anybody have any suggestions or am I out of luck on this one.

Is there an option to drag and drop files/projects into other projects.?

There are other issues but this is the main one I am dealing with right now, any help or work around are welcome since I really do not want to recreate vault projects and sub-projects manually.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends what you're trying to do. If you're simply trying to change the "parent" directory of a folder, you can do that quickly and easily in the Vault Admin tool. If you're trying to rename a folder, I am not aware of a way to accomplish that, other than moving the files from one folder to the other.

PDMAdmin,

Are you refering to "copy project"? if so here is my question then. If I do copy the project I would need to delete the "old" projects, now is there a way to rename the projects/ files once they are in their new location (since there cannot be an instance with the same name within the vault)and if I where to copy the files to a new location they will have a suffix with the word "copy" is there a work around for this? if not how would I go about renaming the files?

next question is that I would need to delete the old files/ projects, but as I have learned from past experiences if you delete a project within the root level all the sub-projects within that specified project then propogate to the root level making for a delightful mess and alot of deleting.
Are there any quick fixes for this?? as well

Thanks for your advice so far.

"now what does work is that you can now select multiple files (vs. one by one)take ownership of said files "

How is this done? I know you take ownership of an entire project folder, but can I group-select a few files?

Avlis,

To answer your question... all you have to do is ctrl-click on the files that you wish to select and voila, done.

Shift-click also works.

Funny, I thought I able to do this before. I'm trying right now BUT it only lets me select one file at a time. I think I'm missing something very obvious here...

I doesn't group-select in either the stand-alone or the SW client.

Is there a toggle somewhere that turns this function on or off? Maybe I'll try on another machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back