Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2006 stability.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudje

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2004
US
Have you guys found 2006 to be stable. The software crashed on me at least 5 times daily...It always seems to happen when I am changing component angles and component configurations within an assembly(rather simple things).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have had very good luck with 2006 and stability. We typically don't have a stability issue with any version of SW. It could be a driver, hardware or set-up issue?

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
SW 2006 SP 2.0

That's what it sounds like to me as well. I have an FX-500 card and found that it's much more stressed with 2006 than with 2005. I turned off the 3D-looking dimensions to make them flat against the screen plane and that helped a lot.

Otherwise, my version of 2006 is very stable.

Many people don't normally account for a more demanding software update by upgrading their hardware--so it seems like the new software is less stable. In fact, it's often a hardware problem, as was mentioned above. Check the drivers, etc. too.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

My driver version went back to 2003??? I updated it, and hopefully this will fix my problem...I am running an ATI FireGL x2 card...
As usaul thank you for the input!!!

We had a lot of issue when we first loaded SW. We ended up having to run a registry edit to make sure the associations were correct, this fixed the issues we had and have had a very stable system to date.

Most of this came from the corporate Anti-Virus program we had.

brudje,

Did you do an update to install SW2006, or did you uninstall SW2005 first? And if you uninstalled SW2005 first, did you clean out the registry as well? (I ask because most of my initial instability problems with SW2005 were caused by not cleaning out the registry first. See Scott's FAQ on uninstalling SolidWorks for more info.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back