Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 CBC / 2006 IBC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPA827

Structural
Jan 14, 2008
US
I am alittle late getting familiarized with the new code as I bought the 2007 CBC yesterday as well as the Design Manuuals 1 & 2. I got a few questions if anybody can shed some light on:

The Design Manuals make code references to the ASCE/SEI7-05, and the CBC also indicates that seismic force are to be in accordance with ASCE7. CBC doesn't seem to give me the Formulas needed to determine the seismic shear. Do I need to have the ASCE7 as well? Why isn't everything I need in the CBC/IBC?

Figures 1613.5(1) thru (13) in the CBC, do I use these to get my Ss & Sl? If so. the numbers are so hard to read for the exact loctation. Is this something that is given by say the soils engineer?

I know my questions are broad, but I would appreciate any light anyone can shine for me.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes you need the ASCE 7, you are also going to need, if you don’t already have, ACI 318, AISC 360 & 341, ACI 530, etc.. The CBC is going to send you to reference material for information. The geo. will normally provide the information, however you can look it up, . Use long. and lat. for your project as a zip code search will give very different results.

Thanks for all your help! I think I need to go purchase the ASCE/SEI 7-05.

Sandman21: I checked out that website with the USGS, and it is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back