Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 SW Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockguy

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
US
Has any one else noticed that when renaming parts in the new SW Explorer the search for "where used' is painfully slow?

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 8/12/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 / SW 2007 SP 0.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I noticed that the first search (in a series of renames) is painfully slow, but any searches afterwards are fast. It always works like that for me.

Windows desktop search and SWE search are not related (common sense says they should be but the're not?).

These are 2007 files. I'm not sure if the issue is our network or SWE? The IT guys around here are virus paranoid and we are antivirus softwared to death (paranoya will destry ya). This may also be affecting the where used search?

I have specified only one folder to search (and there are only about 120 files in the folder, all SW)so it should be relatively quick. When you sit for about 2 miuntes waiting to rename each part it become a little annoying.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
(updated 8/12/06)

Rob, I do not know that I totally agree with the statement that desktop search and SW Explorer are not related in some way. Both do take advantage of the indexing service of MS. I have customized my search paths in SW (which carry foreword into the Indexing Service paths as well as into SW Explorer search paths.) Once that is established and the index has been rebuilt (through desktop search options) I find that performance is very good. Please let me know if I do not correctly understand your issue. I also turn off the option in SW Explorer to search SW Referenced Documents location (unless you use that path in SW?)

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

You might be right. I thought I read at the SolidWorks Forum that the two were not related but I can't find the post I was referencing (it may have been on the beta board?). I have actually unistalled WDS because I found it would run in the background periodically and significantly slow my system down.

After a phone call with SolidWorks and some file exchanges it turns out the renaming issue I was having is a bug.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
(updated 8/12/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back