Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2010 AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schneidly

Structural
Jun 9, 2010
When is the 2010 AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings going to be available? What is the purpose behind the new edition? Are they reformatting? Changing design procedures? When will the 2010 be adopted? I am looking at getting a reference that is current to that edition and I am wondering if I will need to get the new AISC to make sense of the reference. (The reference will not be available until Feb of next year.)

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I sat through the webinar.. Is there anything in your attached file that you could consider a "major" change..

They tweaked with some phi values, prettied up some drawings, changed some comments, performed minor algebraic manipulations of some equations in order to (in AISC's opinion) make them a bit more user-friendly..

Other than chapter "N" (which I believe is on quality assurance), I'd consider the update unnecessary. Call me when someone discovers a new failure mode or when someone finds out we've been dangerously unconservative with something.

The significance of the changes may vary depending on your use.

IMHO
Chapter J has many significant changes, including changes in the bearing and slip critical shear strengths of bolts.

Chapter K has been re-written. Several changes which can also be found in Design Guide 24

The 14th Edition Manual will also contain updates of the RCSC Specification and the Code of Standard Practice. Some additional tabulated information will change, including the design of single plate connections (again).

I can see that.

And I do recall that most of the changes did, in fact, involve connections. I considered them minor, but I guess if your primary role is as a connection engineer, it may not be so minor.

Chapter I has been extended a good bit (more than twice as long as '05). No major revisions to what was there and your typical composite beam design, but a lot of new stuff added for load transfer and new methodologies for noncompact and slender filled columns for the few that get into that sortof thing.

Schneidly....the adoption depends on the code reference. The 2010 edition will not be referenced until at least the next revision of the IBC or interim amendments (2012 next code revision). The code does not always reference the latest edition of standards, practices or supplementary codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back