Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2015 NX Workstation recommendation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDub74

Automotive
Sep 1, 2010
US
Greetings All,

My company is going to be purchasing new workstations very soon. These will be running NX 9, Teamcenter 10 and some will be used for FactoryCAD and Process Simulate. We've been buying the Dell T3610 but those are being phased out. We prefer Dell workstations. Currently considering the Dell 7810. We have the option of ordering dual processors but we're leaning toward a single 8 core Xeon processor. Are there any big advantages to a dual processor setup for NX 9. I'm hoping someone can chime in here. An 8 core Xeon is pretty beefy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What other option do you have?

When a piece of software crashes, particularly something like NX, which has a reputation for being VERY stable, avoiding the one organization formally charged with helping people in situations like that and which BTW, your maintenance dollars are paying for, is simply naive at best. If you feel that you're not getting the service that you PAID for, ask that your problem be escalated. Demand to speak to a supervisor or a manager. From my experience when dealing with our customers, moat of them are very happy with their relationship with and the effectiveness of our customer support organization, of which GTAC plays a central and critical role.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Having dealt with GTAC for many years, it was always a pleasure to call them and get an answer. Not always immediately, but you did get an answer. An added plus was that you usually spoke with someone who was not an ESL person!

I have also had numerous contact with a Massachusetts CAD vendor. Calls are almost always answered first by a ESL person who is working a shift 12 hours off from your own. Numerous call backs, sometimes escalation is tyhe only way to get an answer. I have had to email the director of customer service because I was so frustrated with the way my call was being handled.

Give me GTAC any day of the week over the other comapny's support!!!

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Of course it is possible to be much worse than GTAC ;-)
my experience with gtac is, that it HIGHLY depends on the person. For some persons you know that they do everything to give you the best help. in this time I am satisfied although the real solution may be 2 or more major version in the future.
But sometimes you can read between every line that he does want/can not help you... :-(

Many times they try to tell me that I am the first one who gets this error (seriously?)
But my opinion is like John R Baker said: The only ways we have is to make calls. It is better than everything. And over the years I found many talended and motivated supporters. Unfortunately I cannot choose but have to pray that the right person takes the call. :)
The first lesson I have learned: always write in english! because a wider group of supporters can take the call and they do not have to translate everything for hand over to development...

We are working through this exact same question.

We're upgrading from T3610s and are looking at the T5810 (ES-1660v3 3GHz 8C, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Quadro K4200 GPU). We are at a question about going the 15K SAS or a SSD (Samsung 850Pro) for performance.

We are even questioning weather we move to dual GPUs and how to that might impact performance. Also, how to configure them using the Quadro Sync card.

One of our Engineering users is suggesting we move down to the ES-1650v3 card which is only 6C but 3.5Ghz clock. With the way they use the UG sessions, sometimes opening 4-5 at a time, I think they would see better performance from the 8C model...thoughts?

-M Carson
Windsor Mold Group
Windsor, ON

I just bought a bunch of Dell Precision T3610s for our office last year. Zero complaints so far though it did struggle with an imported 1.5GB STL with 32 million facets. I'll give it a pass on that one. I think these were roughly $3600/EA at the time.

Xeon E5-1650 v2 @ 3.5GHz (6 Cores)
NVIDIA Quadro K5000
16GB DDR3 RAM (1866MHz & 4x4GB)
256GB SSD (Boot & Working)
1TB Platter (Secondary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back