2016, consider Starting my own structural engineering firm. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyypk

Structural
Sep 29, 2004
US
Hi, all,

Just want to get more opinion about starting my own new structural firms in 2016.

Here is the points that support my decision:

1) Experience = over 10 years in residential , small commercial projects
2) MS / BS in Civil Engineering conc. in structural
3) Have multiple states PE license
4) Wife will support my back during the initial period of the business development.
5) work from home with more flexible hours

I have great amount of experience in structural design in residential and modular house. My strategy will be starting the business with all the real estate agent around the area and get more inspection business first. At the same time, I will contact as much small residential contractor as possible, will do all small or big custom projects.

Would like to hear more opinions / suggestion / recommendation / experience talk about starting a small structural engineering firm. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The next couple years are projected to be pretty good in regards the economy and construction starts, so I think the business climate is good for a startup provided your geographical area has this good outlook.

Since your wife can provide and your income can essentially be discretionary, I would just make sure to have enough saved to self fund the start-up.

You have a good amount of experience as well as the education to give you plenty of depth in the field you plan to practice in. Those are both big pluses whether Clients give a darn or not about your MS. You will have the confidence, and that is important.

There are a bunch of business bogy man tasks like incorporating (should you incorporate), insurance, website, accounting, blah blah, but I've looked into those and it simply is not that complicated for a sole practitioner and easily surmountable when the income from the business is discretionary. If you already have had some management experience (including financials, not just project), you should do well. If not, there will be a slightly steeper learning curve.

Good luck!

Some advice I can give that has worked well for me is to 1) Love what you do. It will show when approaching clients and they will sometimes prefer working with someone who is passionate about what they do over another engineer who just sees work as a means to a paycheck, 2) be confident and able to talk to clients easily about not only structural engineering, but also about life outside of work. Find out their hot buttons in their personal life (i.e. they like to fish, golf, hang out with their kids, they're a fan of such and such sports team, etc.) and get them talking about it, 3) be willing to spend a lot of time reading these forums and keeping up with your trade, and 4) be willing to work long hours in order to get work done quickly. Many clients are willing to pay more for quick service from someone who communicates really well during the design process.

Brad805 said:
I would not chase the residential market unless you forsee working with some good designers or well financed clients.
75% of my work is residential and I have very little problem charging alot, collecting it easily and have had only a handful of problems with liability. It helps that I am in an area with fairly well off clients and good contractors. I don't do any work for production builders other than the forensic work for the homeowner down the road.

I started my own firm about 4 years ago doing commercial building work...it took 2 to 3 years to really get going...I would say if you aren't willing to go 3 years before throwing in the towel...don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back