Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

205 mph on a Honda 1000 cc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davefitz

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
US
The web is full of a news report that a Minnesota rider just recieved a speeding ticket for riding at 205 mph in a 65 mph zone. Is that feasible, out of the box?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, it is not possible out of the box.

With a turbo or NOS it is possible, but not probable.

Hwy 61 along the Mississippi has very few places to get a bike up to 150, much less 205. He was probably going stupid fast, 150 or 160, and the cop in the Cessna wet himself while tring to get the stopwatch going.

Anyway, I'm sure he was speeding, but I'm doubting he was doing 205.

I read someplace that he only got ~$350 in fines, not bad for doing 140 over.

I read an article in the L.A. Times a number of years ago about the CHP "clocking" a sports car at over 200 mph on the Hollywood Fwy. I have no doubt that "where there's smoke, there's fire" is appropriate here but, common sense tells me that standard police "clocking" methods preclude speed determination of anything near 200 mph. I think too many folks out there have been watching late night re-runs of "Cannonball Run"!

On the reality side---November, 1998 (I think) at El Mirage dry lake SCTA time trials I witnessed two runs by a Harley, sans fairings, at over 200 mph, ~202 morning and ~206 afternoon !!! Phenominal! I am sure the records can be accessed from the SCTA site.

Rod

The bike was a Honda RC-51, a twin cylinder 1000cc sport bike. The bike was stock except for a pair of aftermarket "slip-on" mufflers.

There is no way that the guy was going 205 mph.

The most amazing thing about this whole thing is that the speeding fine was only $215.

The story I read indicated the officer clocked the bike over a 1/4-mile trap - 4.5 seconds at 200 mph. 160 mph would be 5.62 seconds. Could be reaction time on this one, or parallax error.

$215 is pretty cheap for a notarized trophy like that, but the road rash potential is a bit above my price range.

You would have to add about 70% more power to an RC51 to get that kind of velocity....along with the proper gearing and testing/tuning for peak mph.

It was the pilot's screw up...piloting a moving Cesna, clocking two motorcycles (CBR600 and RC51) and keeping track of who crossed what line on the road. He fumbled the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back