Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2205/6% MOLY (75/25 SPLIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

copelajo

Industrial
Jun 21, 2012
US
Does anyone know the SA spec No. or the UNS for material that would be applicable when 2205/6% MOLY (75/25 SPLIT) material is called for. I don't know where to find details or a manufacturer of such a product. Any basic info would be very helpful

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is what I am trying to figure out. I am assuming the engineers are calling shell plate that would mate the two materials. For instance, if the shell was 20' in height, the lower 5' would be 6Mo and the upper 15' would be 2205. I have never seen anything like this called out before, so I wanted to make sure there is no material out there that would be a mixed alloy of the two materials or something strange.

Sounds like the mix is in the construction as you detail in your second post. You don't actually 'mix' alloys.

You will need to join these two alloys, however. The filler metal will be the one used for the higher alloy base metal, in this case it is non-matching = Inconel. You will also need to respect the heat input requirements of the 2205 duplex so as not to damage its corrosion resistance and fracture toughness.

Don't give this work to a back-alley carbon steel shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back