Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

24" FRP line

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIAUPA

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2003
CA
We design a 24" pipe line for flue gas running on over 3.5 km of land.
Are the expension joints preferred over the bell/spigot (O-ring) connections?
If YES or NO could you, please, give reason.

Thank you all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't flue gas usually a little warm? Have you checked the expected temperature of the gas against the rated temperature of the joints you propose to use? Against the pipe's rated temperature?

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

This is flue gas at 177 degC(approx. 350 deg F)under 69 kPa (10 psi) pressure transported through 24" dia FRP pipe.
As mention previously I will appreciate your help if anybody has any experience with the expension joints preferred over the bell/spigot (O-ring) connections or viceversa?

Thank you!

I'm not aware of any frp pipe that's rated for continuous duty at 350 degF.

If such a thing exists, I could sell a bunch. Who makes it?

What rubber compound is used for the o-rings?

What do you mean when you say 'expansion joints'? Straub clamps? Silicone hose? Silicone hump hose? Metal bellows?

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

I'd suggest contacting the piping suppliers for recommendations, assuming the pipe is available.

The pipe joints sound like the kind used with water pipe- either Dresser(TM) couplings (ie, flex couplings) or bell-and-spigot joint as used with DI and PVC piping. But I'm not familiar with elevated temperature or FRP applications.

We use frp tube and components in marine Diesel exhaust systems, but we cheat by injecting seawater into the gas stream before it hits the plastic.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

JStephen and MikeHalloran,

I confirm that this is FRP pipe with 24"dia, that could be used in continuous service under 350 deg.F for flue gas. I do not know how other medium could be handled.
The manufacturer is in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thank you for your input.

RPS of Nova Scotia manufactures ABCO brand frp pipe. Their website says their H150 & H series is claimed suitable for environments 'up to 240 degrees F'.

Okay, maybe there's another more heat resistant product from them or some other frp pipe house in Nova Scotia.

Or, maybe you've been speaking with someone who really, really, really, wants to make a big sale, and may have no qualifications beyond a positive mental attitude.

When you say 'I confirm', do you mean that you have in your possession a detailed factual assertion in print, signed by an officer of the pipe manufacturer?

Even if you do, given the temperature and the pressure, I'd suggest that you ask the pipe manufacturer to recommend a joining method, in writing, and that you follow it, to the letter.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back