Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

240V Motor with Proximity Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjweber4540

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2010
US
Hello,

I have a question for you guys that may be very easy. I'm not sure as I am no eletrical genius and most of my time is spent on CAD. I have an application where a part is placed in a fixture. When the part is placed it activates two 24v proximity sensors. This allows the motor on the fixture to turn one direction or the other to position the part in the fixture. What is happening is that one of the proximity sensors gets dirty and won't work. The plan is to change that sensor out with a physical on-off switch. Can I tie into the wiring of the old proximity sensor or would it be easier to take out the sensor and wire in a new switch? Either way I'm not sure how to do either. Thanks for any help and if I didnt give enough info let me know and I can get it im sure.

Thanks,
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Too many unknowns, sorry. It will all depend on the type of sensor you have and the type of control system it is connected to. We can speculate ad nauseum but without someone seeing it who knows what they are looking at, you can get in big trouble trying to do this via remote conjectures from the likes of us. I suggest you find a controls engineer locally who can look into this for you.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back