Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

25 kV fuse and fuse holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gauss2k

Electrical
Feb 27, 2004
CA
Hello everyone!

We have been asked by one of our client to change his main circuit fuse/fuse holder. They are having problems with it and since it's getting old, they simply want to install a brand new one.

The caliber of those fuses is 25 kV / 400 amps. They are indoor.

Now.. I called several distributors and manufacturers to see where I could find such a fuse caliber, but it seems incredibly rare!

The only one who had something is S&C Electric company. They have a new 400 amps SM power fuse (25 kV), but they simply refuse to sell the fuse and its fuse holder without the whole switchgear. Since I would *really* like to avoid having to change the whole thing, does anybody have an idea where I could find a 25 kV / 400 amps fuse and its fuse holder?

I'm from Canada, so any north american manufacturer or seller reference would be great!

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, but I think you've found your answer. If you are having problems with a fuse or fuse holder (what kind of trouble are you having anyway?), what makes you think that the switch mechanism is worth hanging onto?

What is the "whole switchgear"? Is this a metal-enclosed load-break fused switch? If so, you may have to get the fuse holder assembly from the same manufacturer.

You might check with Cutler-Hammer. They make both current-limiting and expulsion fuses. But I'm not sure you can get a current-limiting fuse at 400A and 25 kV. That may be why you ended up talking with S&C.

Well, to be honest, I don't really have more details than what I wrote in my message. I'm not the one responsible for that job.

I'm doing those researches for a colleague who just told me that last week. I understood from the few information I received that he talked to a guy at S&C a few months ago and that guy made it totally clear that he could buy the fuse and fuse holder alone.

But they (S&C) just called him some time ago to tell him that they were sorry, they finally cannot sell OEM part for indoor fuse holders, they only sell packages (with I suppose is the metal enclosure, including the switch). I guess he already made arrangements to get everything else (parts, workers, etc) as he was pretty annoyed to learn that news.

Now for the reasons why they decided to do it or what exactly S&C proposes, I don't know more that what I said. He just told me that we had to find a distributor/manufacturer other than S&C to get an equivalent OEM fuse and fuse holder asap! Unfortunately for him, it seems a pretty hard task...

I am not sure about Canada but in the lower 48 you would have trouble getting in OK by a local inspector.
For good reason I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back