Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2D elements "shear force"

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPEYES

Structural
Mar 15, 2019
US
Is there a way to add a force along 2D plate elements in FEMAP on a single curve. I have projected a line on a surface and added a force to the curve that is in the same plane as the surface, but the model does not recognize the force and shows zero stress after running the analysis. What is the correct way to apply a concentrated load along a surface?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

does "projected a line on a surface" mean that you've split the surface ?

which curve did you apply the load to ...
1) the "projected" curve ? or
2) the edge curves created in splitting the surface ? (the edge curves associated with the surface)

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

yes, but is that curve an edge of the surface ? I don't think you can load a "random" curve.

How is that curve meshed ??

well..

the surface is split at the curve now, so I guess it is the edge of surface.

My understanding was that FEMAP converted the force on the curve to nodal forces to nodes touching the curve. What extra steps should be taken to add a force to a curve?

not so fast.

is the curve associated with the two surfaces ? (look at the properties of the surfaces (edge curves)

is the curve meshed ?

I think you'll find the surfaces have a different curve underneath your initial curve (one of the annoying things FeMap does ... co-incident curves).

looking at the properties of the surfaces should list their edge curves.

use of "plot only" elements should explain why you're not having any joy in FEA.

I'd ...

1) split the surface into two,

2) mesh both surfaces at the same time. This "should" prevent duplicate nodes along the split. If you want to be particular about your mesh, mesh the edge curves, then create elements on the surfaces.

3) apply your load to one of the curves.

humm, doesn't seem as simple as I thought. When you split the surface along your curve the surfaces will create new edge curves, which will be meshed with the surface (but your original curve won't). then use one of these to describe your load. you may need to experiment with picking which curve !? if you mesh both surfaces together then you won't get coincident nodes along to common edge. If you mesh the surfaces on their own you will which you can fix using tools/check/coincident nodes ... so long as you have the same meshing along the common side. Then the resulting nodes may depend on which curve set you retained (though I'd hope it would overwrite the replaced set ... maybe, maybe not !?).

Hi
If you apply loads on geometric entities you have to have FEM entities associated with the geometry and expand the loads before analyzing. A load on a curve will not be included when running the solver.

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back